What is the outcome of a collision between two cars at constant speed?

In summary, the conversation is about two cars with equal mass and constant speeds colliding with each other. The person is trying to determine the speed of the cars after the collision by using the impulse method and is struggling with the concept of force and impulse when the cars are traveling at constant speed. They are seeking help in designing a game with realistic motion and someone suggests using the conservation of momentum principle. The person has made a solution and discovered something interesting, and is asking for verification.
YinHoNg
I feel so silly for not being able to work this out...

The situation is this - two cars going towards each other. Both cars' mass = 1Kg. The speed of car 1, say, is 5m/s. The speed of car 2, say, is 3 m/s. THE IMPORTANT THING TO NOTE IS THAT BOTH CARS ARE TRAVELLING AT CONSTANT SPEED!

What I'm trying to work out is what their speed is afterwards!

I've looked into the impulse = change in momentum equations but the bit that's confusing me is if the cars are traveling at constant speed, then acceleration =0; thus force is 0... thus impulse = 0? which is obviously wrong but i can't prove it... :(
Using the impulse method, i assume a contact time of 1 s, for simplicity.

N.B I'm trying to design a game with realistic motion but i can't do it... its killing me! Any help will be duly appreciated.
thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hm... is it something I've not done?

You needn't pull your hair out by using Newton's equations. Instead, apply the conservation of momentum principle. You will also need to assume that they either stick together after the collision or that kinetic energy is conserved to solve.

Yes. Looks like you're seeing the beauty of physics already =D

1. How can the speed and mass of two cars affect the outcome of a collision?

In a collision between two cars, the speed and mass of each car can greatly impact the outcome. The faster and heavier the cars are, the more force will be exerted upon impact. This can result in more severe damage and injuries.

2. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

An elastic collision is when the two cars bounce off each other after impact, conserving the total kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, the cars stick together after impact and some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound.

3. How can the angle of impact affect the damage caused by a collision?

The angle of impact can greatly impact the damage caused by a collision. If the two cars collide at a perpendicular angle, the force will be evenly distributed and may result in less severe damage. However, if the cars collide at an angle, the force will be concentrated on a smaller area, causing more damage.

4. What safety features in cars help reduce the impact of a collision?

Some safety features in cars that can help reduce the impact of a collision include airbags, seatbelts, and crumple zones. These features are designed to absorb some of the force and protect the occupants of the car.

5. How do scientists study and analyze collisions between two cars?

Scientists use various methods such as computer simulations, crash tests, and mathematical models to study and analyze collisions between two cars. These methods help them understand the physics and forces involved in a collision and how to improve car safety in the future.