Need help with electric field calculation? Check out part B!

In summary, the conversation involves someone struggling with a question in an attachment and asking for help. They also mention their answer for part A and apologize for possibly being wrong. Another person suggests a solution for part B and provides a link for the question, and the original person thanks them and apologizes for the delay in response.
Lewis
I'm having trouble with the question included in the attachment, part B specifically. If anyone could start me off it would be a great help!

Also, my answer for part A is included if anyone would care to check it o:)
-Note: Chances are it's wrong :rofl:​

Attachments

• Physics1.JPG
    Physics1.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
Lewis said:
I'm having trouble with the question included in the attachment, part B specifically. If anyone could start me off it would be a great help!

Also, my answer for part A is included if anyone would care to check it o:)
-Note: Chances are it's wrong :rofl:​
I can't open your attachment. Why don't you cut and paste and put it in without the attachment?

I also get your answer to (A), with \lambda=Q/h.
I think the easiest way to do (B) is:
1. Use the field of a ring to get the field a distance z from a disk of charge Q. Use dq=2pi r dr/(pi r^2 Q) and integrate r from 0 to R.
This should give E=(2Q/R^2)[1-z/sqrt{z^2+R^2}].
2. Integrate E for the disk the same way you must have done for E for the ring for the hollow cylinder.
Let me know if you want to know the answer.

Cool, I got it now.

Thanks man, and sorry for the slow reply.

1. How is electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force exerted on a charged particle, and q is the charge of the particle.

2. What units are used to measure electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

3. How does the distance between charges affect the electric field?

The electric field is directly proportional to the distance between charges. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the electric field decreases.

4. Is the electric field a vector or a scalar quantity?

The electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the electric field is the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field.

5. Can the electric field exist in a vacuum?

Yes, the electric field can exist in a vacuum. It is a fundamental force of nature that does not require a medium to propagate.