Massive objects traveling near the speed of light

In summary, according to the theory of relativity, objects with mass cannot travel at the speed of light due to the infinite amount of energy required to accelerate them to that speed. This applies regardless of the medium in which the object is traveling, as the upper limit for its velocity is always 'c'. The concept of relativistic mass is not needed to explain this limit, as it is a result of how velocities add and is not dependent on forces or the speed of light in a medium.
pete5383
Hey everyone, I have a question that might be pretty obvious to everyone else, but I just want to be clear. Relativity says that nothing that has mass can travel at the speed of light because it will take an infinite amount of energy for it to accelerate to that. I think I get that...but I do have a question. If an object with mass is accelerating in a medium with an index of refraction greater than 1, is the speed of light in that medium the upper limit for how fast a massive object can travel?

For example, in a vacuum, the speed of light is about 3e8 m/s (right..?), so a massive object has to travel less than that. But in a medium that has an index of refraction of 2, making the speed of light 1.5e8 m/s, is the massive object now limited to traveling 1.5e8 m/s?

So, I guess what I'm trying to ask, is a massive object's velocity limited by c, or by the speed of light in the medium it's traveling through?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey everyone, I have a question that might be pretty obvious to everyone else, but I just want to be clear. Relativity says that nothing that has mass can travel at the speed of light because it will take an infinite amount of energy for it to accelerate to that. I think I get that...but I do have a question. If an object with mass is accelerating in a medium with an index of refraction greater than 1, is the speed of light in that medium the upper limit for how fast a massive object can travel?

The short answer is that the limit is 'c', and has nothing to do with the speed of light in the medium.

The longer answer would point out that there is actually no need to invoke dynamics (forces) or "relativistic mass" to explain why obects cannot exceed 'c'. It is a consequence of how velocities add, a purely kinematical issue that doesn't need any dynamical concepts (i.e. mass).

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does the theory of relativity affect objects traveling near the speed of light?

The theory of relativity predicts that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and its length contracts. This means that it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light.

3. Can a massive object actually travel at the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for a massive object to reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate it any further.

4. What happens to time for objects traveling at the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, time slows down for objects traveling at the speed of light. This means that time would appear to pass slower for an object traveling at the speed of light compared to an observer at rest.

5. Are there any known objects in the universe that travel at the speed of light?

No, there are no known objects in the universe that can travel at the speed of light. However, particles such as photons, which have no mass, can travel at the speed of light. Objects with mass can only approach the speed of light, but can never actually reach it.