Optical Model of Nuclear Reactions

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for theoretical information on the optical model of nuclear reactions, without wanting any mathematical details. The conversation includes a recommendation to use Google to find reliable resources, as well as a reminder to be cautious of the validity of information found online.
choudries
hye..

i want some theoratical detail on optical model of nuclear reactions.. no hard mathematical detail. just theoratical explanation of things ...

thanx...:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
google is your friend. If you have specific questions, I'm sure people here could help.

choudries said:
hye..

i want some theoratical detail on optical model of nuclear reactions.. no hard mathematical detail. just theoratical explanation of things ...

thanx...:smile:
Theoretical yet not mathematical ? Do you even know yourself what you are looking for ? if you want to get decent help, you need to be more specific.

marlon

dimachka said:
google is your friend.
No it is NOT. Don't use public internet sites to acquire scientific knowledge unless such sites are from universities etc etc. My point : be sure of the scientific relevance and validity of the resources you are using.

marlon

there are reliable sites on the internet and there are obviously unreliable sites, I have never found it difficult to figure out which sites that claim to explain physics are truly helpful and which are just some crazy posting his/her own theories. But i repeat, google is your friend! If you search for any physics related topic, most of the results you get will either be academic papers (probably too advanced for most people) and lecture notes from universities. (which in my opinion are pure gold much of the time)

1. What is the optical model of nuclear reactions?

The optical model is a theoretical framework used to describe the scattering of particles, such as protons or neutrons, off of a nuclear target. It is based on the assumption that the particles interact with the target through a potential that is analogous to the potential experienced by a light wave when passing through a medium.

2. How is the optical model used in nuclear physics?

The optical model is used to calculate the cross section, or probability of interaction, for a given nuclear reaction. This information is important for understanding nuclear processes, such as nuclear fission and fusion, as well as for applications in nuclear engineering and medicine.

3. What factors are taken into account in the optical model?

The optical model takes into account the size and shape of the target nucleus, the energy and momentum of the incident particle, and the potential between the particle and the nucleus. It also considers the spin and parity of the target and the angular momentum of the scattered particle.

4. How accurate is the optical model?

The accuracy of the optical model depends on the specific parameters used in the calculations, such as the potential and the nuclear form factor. In general, it is a good approximation for reactions involving light nuclei, but may not accurately describe reactions involving heavy nuclei or at high energies.

5. What are the limitations of the optical model?

The optical model assumes that the potential between the particle and the nucleus is spherically symmetric, which may not hold true for all reactions. It also does not take into account effects such as nuclear structure and multiple scattering. Additionally, it may not be applicable for reactions involving exotic nuclei or at extreme energies.