How do we calculate the determinant of a large matrix?

In summary: I was just curious if anyone had any advice or insights on how to calculate determinants.I apologise if it is frowned upon to drag old threads up from out of... well, never mind. I was just curious if anyone had any advice or insights on how to calculate determinants.
Kruger

Homework Statement

Given the following 101x101 matrix: Akl where k and l are the row and column. Now Akl = (akl)=k^2+1 if k=l and (akl)=2*k*l else. I have to calculate the determinant of this matrix but have no clue how to start working, well I've some idea but it doesn't really help.

Homework Equations

Formula of determinant, ... (perhaps induction).

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the determinant of this matrix in case it's a 1x1 matrix, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 matrix and tried to find some law for the nxn case (then proof with induction), but I did not find a formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kruger said:

Homework Statement

Given the following 101x101 matrix: Akl where k and l are the row and column. Now Akl = (akl)=k^2+1 if k=l and (akl)=2*k*l else. I have to calculate the determinant of this matrix but have no clue how to start working, well I've some idea but it doesn't really help.

Homework Equations

Formula of determinant, ... (perhaps induction).

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the determinant of this matrix in case it's a 1x1 matrix, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 matrix and tried to find some law for the nxn case (then proof with induction), but I did not find a formula.
If I am not mistaken, the first column consists of the even numbers, in order.
What happens if you multiply the first row by n and subtract that from the nth row?

Ah, you mean, I can transform the matrix into a triangle matrix?

Kruger said:
Ah, you mean, I can transform the matrix into a triangle matrix?

The point is to transform it into a triangular matrix, whose determinant is the product of the diagonal elements.

And, in fact, that can be done in "one swell foop"!

Ok, I solved it succesfully by transforming it into a triangular matrix. (I multiplied every row with factor (k+1) or something and then substracted the row with the next row). So I got almost a triangular matrix (except the last row). The last row I treated seperately.

Thanks for your help

I am puzzled as to why you cannot reduce the last row? Doesn't subtracting "k times the first row" from the kth row reduce every row and leave you with a diagonal matrix?

No, if I do that, then all elements of the last row are zero exzept the first one and the last one (because the calculation of the 1x1 element is another one than the one of the 1x2, 1x3, ... element according to the rule the matrix is built). So I end with almost a diagonal matrix (the first has also nonzero elements)

Kruger said:
No, if I do that, then all elements of the last row are zero exzept the first one and the last one (because the calculation of the 1x1 element is another one than the one of the 1x2, 1x3, ... element according to the rule the matrix is built). So I end with almost a diagonal matrix (the first has also nonzero elements)

Did you write your matrix down correct (at least some elements, so you can see what it looks like)? What HallsofIvy suggested should work just fine.

Kruger said:
In an n by n matrix, constructed according to the rule you give:
"Akl = (akl)=k^2+1 if k=l and (akl)=2*k*l else"
The first row is "2 4 6 8 ... 2n". The first row of the first column is 12+ 1= 2 which also happens to be 2*1. The first column is the same (for the same reasons). In particular, the element in the first column of the nth row is 2n.
In fact the final row is "2n 4n 6n 8n ... n2+ 1". Subtracting, as I said before, "n times the first row" from the final row gives "0 0 0 0 ... n^2+ 1- 2n2" or "0 0 0 0 ... 1- n2".

The resulting matrix is a diagonal matrix (except for the top row) with 2 in the first row, first column and 1- k2 in the kth row, kth column. The determinant is the product of those diagonal numbers.

Mhh, you're right, uff, in my calculation 1^2+1 equaled 3. Uff, well, then I haven't to do the last row seperately. What had my assistent thought if he had seen this misscalculation :).

Thanks

first off i apologise if it is frowned upon to drag old threads up from out of the blue but this is the most relevant information i can find for what I am doing.

Im trying to find the determinant of an NxN matrix using the triangle matrix method, but i have never been taught this method and the textbook i tried to decipher it from ( K.A.STROUD advanced engineering mathematics) was frankly rather vague and useless!

so i see the technique used for reducing the nth row to zero, but how do i then reduce the previous (n-1 th) row? from the example above, would it be to subtract n-1 times the first row from the n-1 th row?

1. What is the determinant of a large matrix?

The determinant of a large matrix is a numerical value that is calculated from the elements of the matrix. It represents the scaling factor of the matrix and is used to determine properties such as invertibility and the number of solutions to a system of linear equations.

2. How is the determinant of a large matrix calculated?

The determinant of a large matrix can be calculated using various methods such as cofactor expansion, row reduction, or by using specialized algorithms such as LU decomposition or Gaussian elimination. The method used depends on the size and structure of the matrix.

3. What is the significance of the determinant of a large matrix?

The determinant of a large matrix is important in various areas of mathematics and science. It is used in linear algebra to determine if a matrix is invertible, in geometry to calculate the area and volume of shapes, and in physics to solve problems involving systems of equations.

4. Can the determinant of a large matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a large matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant is determined by the number of row swaps required to reduce the matrix to its echelon form. If an even number of row swaps is required, the determinant will be positive, and if an odd number of row swaps is required, the determinant will be negative.

5. What are the properties of the determinant of a large matrix?

The determinant of a large matrix has several important properties, including linearity, multiplicativity, and the fact that it is equal to zero if and only if the matrix is singular. It is also a scalar value, meaning it is independent of the coordinate system used to represent the matrix.