What Are the Top Circuit Simulators for Different Skill Levels?

• Thread starter light_bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, for students and mid-level professionals, the recommended simulation software is CircuitMaker 2000 due to its speed and ease of use. For more advanced professionals, options such as Electronics Workbench, Proteus, or OrCAD Student can be used as a step up. In the workplace, a variety of simulation software is used depending on the type of circuits, including digital, analog, CPLD, FPGA, Verilog, and mixed signal with Spice. Of the options, OrCAD is often considered the best, but for those who prefer writing their own netlists, any spice variant can be used. For those studying PCB design, OrCAD's capture and layout tools make it easy to interface with PSpice.
light_bulb
for students, mid-level and pros

i use circuitmaker 2000, it has the least features of the sims but it is fast and easy to use. what should i use as a step up (i have electronics workbench, proteus, orcad student).

also just because I'm curious what do you guys use at work? :biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of circuits? Digital, analog, CPLD, FPGA, Verilog, etc.? Mixed signal too?

mixed signal with spice.

I've been using several sims, but it seems that orCAD is the best. But if you prefer writing your own netlists, try any of spice variants ;)

pspice and orcad are the best ... i am studing capture and layout for pcb and it is so easy to interface with

1. What is a circuit simulator?

A circuit simulator is a software tool used to simulate and analyze electronic circuits. It allows for the testing of different circuit designs and components, without the need for physical prototypes.

2. What are the key features to look for in a circuit simulator?

Some key features to look for in a circuit simulator include its ability to handle complex circuits, accuracy of its simulations, availability of a wide range of components and models, user-friendly interface, and compatibility with different operating systems.

3. How does a circuit simulator work?

A circuit simulator uses mathematical algorithms and circuit models to simulate the behavior of a circuit. It solves the equations that describe the circuit's behavior and displays the results in various formats, such as graphs and tables.

4. What are the advantages of using a circuit simulator?

Using a circuit simulator allows for faster and more efficient circuit design, as it eliminates the need for physical prototyping. It also allows for testing and troubleshooting of circuits in a safe and controlled virtual environment.

5. Are there any free circuit simulators available?

Yes, there are several free circuit simulators available, such as LTspice, Qucs, and Ngspice. These simulators offer a wide range of features and are suitable for both beginners and professionals.