Berkeley vs. Columbia (Physics and Math Major)

In summary: Overall, I think the level of instruction and expectations at each institution should be about the same.
Sulphagne
Hi everyone,

For the past year, I spent my freshman year in college at UC Berkeley studying math and physics. Since tuition was expensive for out-of-state and because I wanted to go to the East, I applied for transfer. I'm now debating whether to stay at Berkeley or whether to go to Columbia (unfortunately I was rejected at Harvard and MIT which I preferred over Columbia). Obviously, I can't expect you to make my decision for me, and I can't expect you to be able to weigh all the personal things involved. I will have to make the final decision myself, but I wanted it to be an informed one. So, I would like to ask you to share what you know about physics, math, and general undergrad studies at each institution and how they compare. Also, I would appreciate if you share any transfer experiences and what you think about going to college in Manhattan. I'm afraid Manhattan will be too intense for me, but I don't know.

Thus far, (in my majors) I have taken two introductory physics courses (mechanics+waves using Kleppner and French and themo+EnM using Purcell), finished all the low div math courses, and taken two upper div courses in math (abstract algebra using Herstein and real analysis using Rudin). I have gotten all A/A+'s at Berkeley; should I expect harder classes at Columbia, or would it be at about the same level? Also, any insights about Columbia's Core Curriculum? Is it good? Bad? Is it too much stuff required outside the major?

Thanks for all the help! And, feel free to share anything at all if you deem it relevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
The level of instruction and expectations should be about the same at the two schools, or possibly slightly higher at Columbia, but not enough for you to worry about.

I would guess the primary difference is in the class size, which is greatly in favor of Columbia over Berkeley, as smaller and more personal. Manhattan is great fun for my son and his friends who live there.

I think you wil be very happy there. Do not feel bad at not being accepted by Harvard, since they decided a few years ago not to take transfers except in very unusual cases. I also had a very strong student turned down for transfer to Harvard last year, who in my opinion was almost certainly much better than the average enrolled Harvard student. It turned out they even lost his transfer application, and he is now going there to graduate school.

Manhattan is great fun provided that you don't live in a little shabby apartment.

Werg22 said:
Manhattan is great fun provided that you don't live in a little shabby apartment.
Whats wrong with living in one?

The truth is that decent apartments in Manhattan are dead expensive; even the studios go for over $1000. He would be better off living in one of the other boroughs, like Queens, where I live. The price tags there are somewhat better. Commuting time is well under an hour.

ranger said:
Whats wrong with living in one?

The truth is that decent apartments in Manhattan are dead expensive; even the studios go for over $1000. He would be better off living in one of the other boroughs, like Queens, where I live. The price tags there are somewhat better. Commuting time is well under an hour.

Probably true; my cousin who used to live in Brooklyn moved close to east Harlem (he goes to Columbia by the way) only to move back to his family in Brooklyn after 1 semester!

How about the quality of classes in upper div math and physics? How do they compare at each institution? Thus far, I have been very impressed by the quality of teaching in my upper div math courses in Berkeley.

1. What are the main differences between Berkeley and Columbia's Physics and Math majors?

The main difference between the two universities is their approach to undergraduate education. Berkeley places a strong emphasis on research and hands-on experience, while Columbia focuses more on theoretical and analytical skills. Additionally, Berkeley's physics program is known for its strength in astrophysics, while Columbia's program has a stronger focus on particle and theoretical physics.

2. Which university has a better reputation for Physics and Math?

Both Berkeley and Columbia have highly respected physics and math departments. Ultimately, the reputation of a university's program depends on individual opinions and personal experiences. It is recommended to research the specific areas of interest and strengths of each university's program to determine which may be a better fit for you.

3. Which university offers more research opportunities for undergraduate students?

Berkeley is known for its strong emphasis on research and offers many opportunities for undergraduate students to get involved in research projects. However, Columbia also has opportunities for undergraduate research, especially through its honors program. It is recommended to reach out to faculty and current students at both universities to learn more about specific research opportunities.

4. Which university has a better location for studying Physics and Math?

Both Berkeley and Columbia are located in major cities, with Berkeley being located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Columbia in New York City. Ultimately, the location that may be better for studying physics and math depends on individual preferences. San Francisco offers a strong tech and research community, while New York City offers access to many research institutions and networking opportunities.

5. Are the tuition and cost of living similar between Berkeley and Columbia?

The tuition and cost of living may vary between Berkeley and Columbia depending on individual circumstances, such as financial aid and housing options. Generally, Berkeley is a public university and may have lower tuition for in-state students, while Columbia is a private university with higher tuition costs. It is recommended to research and compare the specific costs for each university and the financial aid options available.