Is Wireless Charging the Future of Energy Transfer?

In summary, this article is discussing the possibility of charging devices wirelessly using light. There is some research that has been done on this subject, but it is still in its early stages. There is also a professor at Georgia Tech who mentioned doing research on this topic a few months ago.
Maxwell
Hey guys, I was thinking about the possibility of charging a device, such as a battery, through wireless means. Does anyone know if there has been any research in this area? Or perhaps a method already in existence?

I was thinking that perhaps you could use light to heat up a receiver, which could be converted to current and thus could be used to charge a device.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Charging by induction, will work wirelessly only for a short distance.

waht said:
Charging by induction, will work wirelessly only for a short distance.

Like the cordless toothbrushes.

Last edited:
I have had a small project about this issue before..
But I used microwave signal to recharge a mobile phone battery, not light..

The link is interesting ranger...
While doing this project, I thought of this resonance idea, but actually, I wasn't scientifically mature enough to design such a system!

My idea was transmitting a microwave signal and receiving it via a rectenna which is able to convert this into electrical energy, and then stored in whatever device...

There's a professor at Georgia Tech who said something about research in charging a laptop via wireless means when I visited there a few months ago. He was a heat transfer professor though...

Last edited:
http://bea.st/sight/levitation/

i am tring to make one of theis. the led thing actualy. it might help you to.

Is it possible to another type of energy instead of electrical energy, that might be tranfered across long distances easily(and serves the same purpose as ee)?

I cannot think of any of any other type(though magnetism, light, heat are closely related)... so there might be something interesting at quantum level.

P.S. But surely, traditional devices will be working with this...

Well, there is always chemical energy. You can transport it via truck or pipeline and convert it to heat, electricity, or mechanical energy. I use it to power my car, cook, and heat my house...

I was thinking of something like electrical that seems much more like a flux of some matter/particles, and something that can be transported wirelessly...

Or like, converting matter into energy.

A small devices takes matter as an input
and outputs a desired form of energy.
and capable of converting one form of energy into another.
Might take thousands of years to develop this.

The second way seems more realistic than the first one( discovering a form of energy that we don't yet)..

1. How does wireless charging work?

Wireless charging uses electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from a charging pad or mat to a device without the need for physical connections. The charging pad contains a coil that generates an electromagnetic field, which is picked up by a coil in the device and converted back into electrical energy to charge the battery.

2. Can any device be charged wirelessly?

No, not all devices are equipped with the necessary components to support wireless charging. Typically, only devices with a built-in wireless charging coil, such as newer smartphones and smartwatches, can be charged wirelessly. Some devices may also require a special case or accessory to enable wireless charging.

3. Is wireless charging as fast as traditional wired charging?

Wireless charging is generally slower than traditional wired charging, but the speed may vary depending on the device and the type of wireless charger being used. Some newer wireless chargers are designed to provide faster charging speeds, but they may also require a compatible device.

4. Are there any safety concerns with wireless charging?

Wireless charging is generally considered safe, as the electromagnetic fields used are low power and non-ionizing. However, there have been some concerns about potential interference with electronic devices, such as pacemakers, and the potential for heat build-up in the device being charged. It is important to use certified and reputable wireless charging products to minimize potential risks.

5. Can I use my device while it is wirelessly charging?

Yes, you can still use your device while it is wirelessly charging. However, it is recommended to avoid placing any objects between the device and the charging pad, as it may interfere with the charging process. It is also important to note that using the device while charging may slow down the charging speed.