Thomas F. Jordan Books on Quantum mechanics

In summary, Thomas F. Jordan's books on quantum mechanics aim to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and applications of this field, including topics such as wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, and quantum computing. These books are suitable for beginners and cover current research and potential future applications of quantum mechanics. They also include practical exercises and examples to enhance understanding, and a background in physics is not necessary to understand them.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi you guys! I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts about these books by Thomas F. Jordan, from DOVER PUBLICATIONS

Linear Operators for Quantum Mechanics
ISBN10: 0486453294
ISBN13: 9780486453293

Quantum Mechanics in Simple Matrix Form
ISBN10: 0486445305
ISBN13: 9780486445304

Iam very bad at matrix representation of Quantum mechanics, and I will have my first real course on this subjectin a few weeks. The main book for the Course is Sakurai's Modern Quantum mechanics.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I found good info abotu these at Amazon, so do not bother this anymore =)

As a scientist with a background in quantum mechanics, I am familiar with Thomas F. Jordan's books on the subject. Both "Linear Operators for Quantum Mechanics" and "Quantum Mechanics in Simple Matrix Form" are valuable resources for understanding the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics.

Jordan's books are particularly useful for those who struggle with the matrix representation of quantum mechanics, as they provide clear and concise explanations of the concepts. They also offer a practical approach to applying linear operators in quantum mechanics, which is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

I would highly recommend these books as supplementary material to Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" for anyone looking to deepen their understanding of the subject. They are also great for self-study and can be a useful reference for students in their first course on quantum mechanics.

In summary, I believe Jordan's books are valuable resources for anyone looking to gain a thorough understanding of the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics. I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming course and hope you find these books helpful in your studies.

1. What is the focus of Thomas F. Jordan's books on quantum mechanics?

The focus of Thomas F. Jordan's books is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and applications of quantum mechanics. This includes topics such as wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, and quantum computing.

2. Are Thomas F. Jordan's books suitable for beginners?

Yes, Thomas F. Jordan's books are suitable for beginners as they start with the basics of quantum mechanics and gradually build upon them. However, a basic understanding of mathematics and physics is recommended.

3. Does Thomas F. Jordan's books cover current research in quantum mechanics?

Yes, Thomas F. Jordan's books cover current research in quantum mechanics and provide insights into the latest developments in the field. He also discusses the potential future applications of quantum mechanics in various fields.

4. Are there any practical exercises or examples in Thomas F. Jordan's books?

Yes, Thomas F. Jordan's books include practical exercises and examples to help readers apply the concepts they have learned. These exercises are designed to enhance understanding and provide a hands-on approach to learning quantum mechanics.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to understand Thomas F. Jordan's books on quantum mechanics?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand Thomas F. Jordan's books on quantum mechanics. The books are written in a clear and accessible manner, making them suitable for readers with various backgrounds and levels of knowledge in physics.