Atomic electric dipole moment

In summary, The conversation discusses the atomic electric dipole moment and its relation to van der Waals binding in solids. The recommended sources for understanding this concept are the book "Solid State Physics" by Ashcroft and Mermin and the section on van der Waals in "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics" by Chaikin and Lubensky. The perturbation theory for the Hamiltonian of two atoms is also mentioned.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me info about atomic electric dipole moment at a very fundamental level (fenomenological, basic quantum), I do not seem to find it when I google =(

My Aim is just to understand van der Waals binding in solids a little bit more.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a short section about the physical origin of the van der Waals "Fluctuating dipole" forces on page 390 of Ashcroft and Mermin "Solid State Physics". It is a very short section though.

Also, Chaikin and Lubensky section 1.3.2 on van der Waals is good. Basically, they expand the Hamiltonian for two atoms (electrons and nuclei, whose nuclei are a fixed distance R apart) and do perturbation theory using

[tex]
H' = \frac{e^2}{R^3}(x^1x^2+y^1y^2-2z^1z^2)
[/tex]

the first order perturbation vanishes and they have to go to second order (thus we see that the perturbation of the energy goes like 1/R^6).

Actually working out the matrix elements is a little painful even in the case of H atoms, but it can be done in that case.

Thanks, I'll check out the library

1. What is an atomic electric dipole moment?

An atomic electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within an atom. It is represented by a vector that points from the negative charge to the positive charge.

2. What causes an atomic electric dipole moment?

An atomic electric dipole moment is caused by the uneven distribution of electrons within an atom. This can occur when the center of mass of positive and negative charges within the atom is not at the same point.

3. How is the atomic electric dipole moment measured?

The atomic electric dipole moment is typically measured in a unit called debyes (D). It can be measured experimentally using techniques such as molecular beam deflection or through spectroscopy.

4. What is the significance of the atomic electric dipole moment?

The atomic electric dipole moment is an important property of atoms, as it can affect their interactions with external electric fields and other atoms. It is also a key factor in understanding the behavior of polar molecules.

5. Can the atomic electric dipole moment change?

Yes, the atomic electric dipole moment can change due to shifts in the electron distribution within the atom or external factors such as changes in temperature or pressure. It can also change when atoms interact with each other or with electric fields.