Rotational Kinetic Energy: Multi-Axis Rotation of a Ball

In summary, the rotational kinetic energy of a body is the sum of the rotational kinetic energy of its individual particles. If the body is rotating about two axes, the rotational kinetic energy of the body is the sum of the rotational kinetic energy of the particle in the centre of mass and the particle at the rotational axis.
pardesi
how do u define rotational kinetic energy when the body is rotting about more than one axis. as an example take a ball that ia rotaing about an axis passing through the centre of ineria whiloe the centre itself rotates in an axis perpendicular to this

Physics news on Phys.org
pardesi said:
how do u define rotational kinetic energy when the body is rotting about more than one axis. as an example take a ball that ia rotaing about an axis passing through the centre of ineria whiloe the centre itself rotates in an axis perpendicular to this

the "centre itself" rotating about some other axis means that the center of mass is moving with some velocity which would not be put lumped into "rotational" kinetic energy, it's just translational kinetic energy of the whole sphere. Then the rotational kinetic energy is just given by the usual expression
[tex]
1/2 I \omega^2
[/tex]
where \omega is the angular velocity about the "axis passing through the centre of [inertia]" and I is 2/5 MR^2.

no but the actual answer includes both the rotation anyway but as the centre of amss rotates sbouta point so do the rest

pardesi said:

what do you mean?--like the earth, for example (or specifically)?

i just wanted to know the definition of rotational kinetic energy when the body is rotating about two axes

rotation and precession?

pardesi said:
no but the actual answer includes both the rotation anyway but as the centre of amss rotates sbouta point so do the rest

yeah but that because, if I choose to, I can write
[tex]
m v^2/2 + I \omega^2/2 = m R^2\Omega^2/2 + I\omega^2/2
[/tex]
where [tex]\Omega[/tex] = v/R is the velocity (say, of the Earth around the sun) divided by the earth-sun distance... whereas [tex]\omega[/tex] is 2\pi/24 hr^-1. The concept of "rotational" energy is most useful when dealing with extended bodies, and I can treat the first term as as translational energy of the center of mass if I like. Which I can't do for the second term

(...) As an example take a ball that is rotating about an axis passing through the centre of inertia while the centre itself rotates in an axis perpendicular to this

I assume that the movement of each partial mass relative to the total centre of inertia must be taken into account. If that is true, then the Earth-Sun system, in which the axes are roughly parallel, might not be a suitable model for a system with perpendicular axes as described by the OP. A deeper analysis of the situation might prove me wrong, though.

If not, another parameter one could look into is whether the orientation of the rotational axis (contrasted to the orbital axis) is constant or conically symmetric. (I realize that a few terms used in this paragraph are slightly arbitrary, but I hope y'all know what I mean).

Just remember that rotational kinetic energy is simply kinetic energy, and that it's existence is a mathematical convenience. You can find the kinetic energy of a particle by the usual [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]. All other bodies are considered to be composed of particles, and the K.E. of the entire body is just the sum of the particles. For a rigid body rotating about one axis without translation, there is a simple (ahem) formula that relates the distribution of mass (encoded in the moment of inertia), rotational angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] and the total K.E. By a stroke of good luck, rotation about a single axis with translation just involves adding up the "rotating bit" and the "linear bit". You should decompose the body and try to see if your "rotation about 2 axis" falls apart into easy bits. Define your situation exactly, and try the calculation. I'm sure the denizens here will be happy to lend a hand if you get stuck.

The second rotation can never take place. (Unless you mean precession).

If it could, gyroscopes would not work! They do, believe me.

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the square of its angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy different from linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is different from linear kinetic energy in that it involves the motion of an object around an axis, while linear kinetic energy involves the motion of an object in a straight line. Additionally, rotational kinetic energy depends on an object's moment of inertia, while linear kinetic energy depends on its mass.

3. How does rotational kinetic energy change with the direction of rotation?

Rotational kinetic energy changes with the direction of rotation because it is dependent on the object's angular velocity, which is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction. The direction of rotation can affect the object's moment of inertia, and thus, its rotational kinetic energy.

4. What is multi-axis rotation?

Multi-axis rotation refers to the rotation of an object around multiple axes simultaneously. This can occur in situations where an object is rotating on multiple points or is moving in a curved path. In this case, the rotational kinetic energy of the object would be the sum of its kinetic energies around all the axes.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its rotational kinetic energy?

The shape of an object can affect its rotational kinetic energy by changing its moment of inertia. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater resistance to rotational motion, resulting in a higher rotational kinetic energy. Therefore, the shape of an object can play a significant role in determining its rotational kinetic energy.