Calculating Torque Needed for M20x100

• Thread starter miloziz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the amount of torque needed for a M20x100 bolt depends on various factors such as the joint design, joint load, number of fasteners, and required pretension. It is recommended to consult resources such as Machinery's Handbook for specific calculations, as these factors can vary depending on the application, bolt rating, coating, and lubricant.
miloziz
if i have M20x100 how many torque is needed?
Could you explain to me its formula?

Engineering news on Phys.org
(This thread belongs in Engineering - hint to moderator ;) )
My copy of Machinery's Handbook 26th Edition, pp 135 and 1475-1491 go through all of this. I'd suggest that you go to a library or consult your own copy of any edition.

The reason is: the application itself, the bolt rating, bolt coating, and lubricant can change the values.

Hint taken!

This is not a simple question to answer. There is no right answer for all situations. The answer depends on:

- The joint design
- The joint load
- The number of fasteners involved
- The pretension required in the bolt

What is torque and why is it important in calculating M20x100?

Torque is a measure of the force needed to rotate an object around an axis. In the case of calculating torque for M20x100, it is important because it helps determine the amount of force needed to tighten or loosen a bolt of that size.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is torque = force x distance. In the case of M20x100, force refers to the amount of force needed to rotate the bolt and distance refers to the length of the bolt.

How do I determine the force needed for M20x100?

The force needed for M20x100 can be determined by considering the material and type of bolt being used, as well as the desired tightness or looseness of the bolt. It is important to refer to torque charts or consult with an engineer for accurate calculations.

What factors affect the torque needed for M20x100?

The factors that can affect the torque needed for M20x100 include the material and type of bolt, the size and thread pitch of the bolt, the condition of the threads, and the desired level of tightness or looseness of the bolt.

How can I ensure accurate torque calculations for M20x100?

Accurate torque calculations for M20x100 can be ensured by using a torque wrench and following the manufacturer's instructions for use. It is also important to regularly calibrate the torque wrench and to refer to torque charts or consult with an engineer for best results.