Proving f(x) = x^4 + 4x + c has No More than 2 Roots

• Thread starter grapeape
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the function f(x) = x^4 + 4x + c = 0 has at most two roots. The participants consider using Rolle's theorem and the first and second derivatives to prove this. They also discuss the importance of critical points and the difference between real and complex solutions. Ultimately, it is determined that there is only one additional root between the intervals of -2 and -1, making a total of two roots for the function.
grapeape

Homework Statement

Show that f(x) = x^4 + 4x + c = 0 has at most 2 roots.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to approach this problem, I think I have to use the IMVT / Rolle's Theorem / MVT.

Any help to even get me started would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rolle's theorem sounds good! What is the derivative of x4+ 4x+ c? Suppose there were in fact three differerent roots. Apply Rolle's theorem on the two different intervals.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's derivative has only one root, and so the f(x) has only one critical point

the derivative is 4x^3 + 4, which has a zero at -1. But how do I eliminate the possibility of other zeroes? do I have to take the double deriv? and also how do I prove the f(x) has only 2 zeroes?

-1 is the only critical point of f(x). Draw a picture to convince yourself that f(x) has at most two roots.

So, since there is only 1 critical point, how do we know that there aren't more? asides from using a graphing calculator. By looking at the first derivative and finding 1 root, does that automatically mean that there are two roots? I'm a little confused on how Rolle's theorem ties into this. Am I supposed to look at the second derivative? So far, I've written that since there is only one critical point, it means that the graph of f(x) only changes from decr. to incr. once, so there can only be two zeros? is that right?

There's only one real solution to x^3 = -1, the other two solutions are complex.

alright, thanks. I am pretty sure I got it now. I used IMVT to prove that between -2, and -1 there is another 0, and since there is only 1 critical number it is the only other 0 asides from (0,0). Seems right, thanks for the help Andy and Halls!

1. What does it mean for a function to have "no more than 2 roots"?

Having no more than 2 roots means that the function has a maximum of 2 values for which the output is equal to 0, also known as the x-intercepts or solutions.

2. How can we prove that f(x) = x^4 + 4x + c has no more than 2 roots?

We can prove this by using the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has at most n complex roots. Since f(x) is a polynomial of degree 4, it can have a maximum of 4 complex roots. However, since we are only concerned with real roots, f(x) can have no more than 2 roots.

3. What is the significance of the constant c in f(x) = x^4 + 4x + c?

The constant c has no impact on the number of roots of the function. It simply shifts the graph of the function up or down without changing the number of roots. Therefore, proving that f(x) has no more than 2 roots holds true for any value of c.

4. Can we use the discriminant to prove that f(x) = x^4 + 4x + c has no more than 2 roots?

No, the discriminant can only be used to determine the number of distinct real roots for a quadratic function. Since f(x) is a quartic function, the discriminant is not applicable in this case.

5. Are there any other methods to prove that f(x) = x^4 + 4x + c has no more than 2 roots?

Yes, we can also use the intermediate value theorem or the Rolle's theorem to prove that f(x) has no more than 2 roots. These theorems involve analyzing the behavior of the function and its derivative over a specific interval to determine the number of roots.