Best Mathematical Methods Books for Linear Algebra and Quantum Mechanics

In summary, if you are specifically interested in learning linear algebra and quantum mechanics formalisms, I recommend getting a book that specifically covers those topics, such as Linear Algebra by Hoffman and Kunze or FDVS by Halmos.
cscott
Can anybody recommend some mathematical methods books? I'm particularily interested in linear algebra and anything to do with quantum mechanics formalisms.

I've looked at arfken, boas and riley but I can't decide.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Riley better than Boas. You might consider looking at an appmath perspective book on the specific thing you want, e.g. linear algebra.

Boas is the "bread and butter" I see a lot of people talking about. It was used in my classes, too.

It's a decent book, but it just jumps into all of the math... I mean... I guess that's what it would do, but if I hadn't had taken my Diff EQ, Linear Algebra, and Multivariable Calc classes, I would have been clueless...

So I'd recommend getting up on your calc and linear algebra seperately before tackling some Boas...

I don't know if there are any better books, sorry.

Boas reads like stereo instructions. It's a good, rigorous, book, but if you're looking to self-study it's probably not the best. You'll probably end up knowing how to get through a problem mathematically without having a concrete understanding of what's going on. It seems like it's mostly useful for reference when you are trying to remember how to do math you haven't done in a while. I agree with Asphodel: if you have a few specific things you are interested in learning, buy a specific book rather than something like Boas which covers nine or ten very broad areas of mathematics.

I would recommend Boas without any hesitation, especially if all you care about is knowing the tools to solve physics or engineering problems. She lays out the "law", i.e. the region of applicability of the mathematics, and then shows you how to use it. For most students in physics and engineering, that's all they care about.

If you read the introduction and the preface to the students of her book, you can clearly see where she's coming from and what the book is intended to do. She even said that it is meant only as a "sampler" (albeit quite a rigorous one) of the mathematics, and she gives references for students who want a further in-depth coverage of the mathematics. It isn't a book to learn mathematics. It is a book to learn HOW to use the mathematics to solve things.

Zz.

Thanks. I got Boas and Riley.

I'm also thinking of getting a more advanced linear algebra book. I have "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Norman from first year. And obviously I need this for my quantum mechanics classes.

Two good linear algebra books are Linear Algebra by Hoffman and Kunze and FDVS by Halmos. At a level higher than this there is Advanced Linear Algebra by Roman.

I really like the textbook by Boas, and second the recommendation of the linear algebra textbooks by Hoffman and Kunze and also Halmos. I'd add another which I think will be a very useful resource even for non-Maple users (but if you are not a Maple user, you really should become one--- it's not incompatible with using other software packages!): Richards, Advanced Mathematical Methods for Maple. Even that turns you off, at least learn about asymptotic expansions and perturbation theory somewhere else! These are really useful techniques which are overlooked in many "methods" books.

1. What is the purpose of mathematical methods books?

Mathematical methods books are designed to provide readers with a comprehensive understanding of the mathematical tools and techniques used in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics. These books cover a wide range of topics such as calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics, and explain how these concepts can be applied to solve complex problems.

2. Are mathematical methods books suitable for all levels of expertise?

Yes, mathematical methods books are available for all levels of expertise, ranging from introductory to advanced. Some books may be specifically designed for beginners, while others may be more suitable for advanced researchers or professionals in a particular field. It is important to carefully select a book that matches your level of understanding to get the most out of it.

3. Can mathematical methods books be used as a reference?

Yes, mathematical methods books can serve as a valuable reference for individuals working in scientific or technical fields. These books often include comprehensive tables, graphs, and equations that can be used to quickly find solutions to specific problems. They can also be useful for refreshing one's knowledge on a particular topic before applying it in their work.

4. Do mathematical methods books only cover theoretical concepts?

No, mathematical methods books not only cover theoretical concepts but also provide practical examples and applications of these concepts. Many books include real-world case studies, exercises, and problems to help readers understand how to apply mathematical methods to solve practical problems in their field of interest.

5. How can mathematical methods books benefit my career?

Mathematical methods books can benefit your career in several ways. They can improve your problem-solving skills, expand your knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts, and enhance your ability to analyze and interpret data. This can be particularly useful for individuals working in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and data science. Additionally, having a strong understanding of mathematical methods can also make you stand out in the job market and open up opportunities for career advancement.