Force beteween two bar magnets

In summary, magnets attract/repel depending on their strength, and metal can be used to cancel out the force of attraction.
Benjamoo
Hi there. I got two questions for you:

1- How can I calculate the force of attraction in Newton of two bar magnets of about 5 cm long and 2 cm wide separated by a few centimentres?

2- If I want to reduce near to nothing the attraction of these two magnet (whil still kept at the same distance), what would be the best material to put in between and how big the piece of material would need to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I am not 100% sure about this but I think you would need to know a lot more about the magnets than just the length to determine the force of attraction.
For your second question I am pretty sure that magnetic attraction can't be canceled out no matter what you put in between the magnets.
Sorry if that didn't really help you.

Hi,

As to your first question, Nerd is right. Magnets come in many different strengths, and that strength does not depend on it's physical size.

As to your second question, there are metals that you can use to block out the force of attraction or repulsion between 2 magnets, however the metal itself is attracted to magnets, so I'm not sure if it would do what you're hoping to do. It's called mu metal. It doesn't "block" magnetic fields, it just redirects it somewhere else. But if you were to place a strip of mu metal over one of the magnets, and a second strip over the other magnet, you could effectively reduce or even completely cancel out the attraction/repulsion between the two magnets (depending on the strength of the magnets, type of mu metal used, distance between the magnets, ect.). There are also other, cheaper metals that do very much the same thing, and are capable of being cut and shaped. Mu metal has to be custom made, because once you cut it, it loses a lot of it's properties. Just do your research.

I hope this helped.

1. What is the force between two bar magnets?

The force between two bar magnets is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between the north and south poles of the two magnets. This force is strongest when the two magnets are placed close together and decreases as the distance between them increases.

2. How is the force between two bar magnets calculated?

The force between two bar magnets can be calculated using the equation F = (μ0 * m1 * m2)/(4π * r^2), where F is the force in Newtons, μ0 is the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the magnetic dipole moments of the two magnets, and r is the distance between the two magnets.

3. What factors affect the force between two bar magnets?

The force between two bar magnets is affected by the strength of the magnets, the distance between them, and their orientation relative to each other. The force is strongest when the magnets have opposite poles facing each other and weakest when they have like poles facing each other.

4. How does the force between two bar magnets change with distance?

The force between two bar magnets follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance between them increases, the force decreases by a factor of the square of the distance. This means that the force decreases rapidly as the distance between the magnets increases.

5. What is the difference between attraction and repulsion in the force between two bar magnets?

Attraction refers to the force between two magnets with opposite poles facing each other, while repulsion refers to the force between two magnets with like poles facing each other. Attraction results in the magnets being pulled towards each other, while repulsion results in the magnets pushing away from each other.