NASA Scientists Make Magnetic Fields Visible, Beautiful

In summary, NASA scientists have made magnetic fields visible through sound-controlled CGI and 3D compositing. These animated photographs are not seen in real life, but rather generated by predicting and coloring the field lines. Some people have compared these images to time-lapse shots with a camera, but they are not computer generated like NASA's. Overall, the images are beautiful and have sparked interest in trying to capture similar shots.
Physics news on Phys.org
is this real?

Doubt it. Looks like some undergrads playing in the lab with a light bulb and long exposure. Kids!

Yeah, i don't get this. Looks to be a select rendering of some of the assumed field lines. I'd rather see the interaction with those metal frames.

NASA's Space Sciences Laboratory have made them visible as "animated photographs," using sound-controlled CGI and 3D compositing

So it's not as if you'd see those "animations" in real life. Seems that video is sent through an animation generator that trys to predict what the fields would be and then colors them?

Looks a lot like these :smile:

Aren't they? I've been meaning to give it a try myself...

yeah "using sound-controlled CGI and 3D compositing. "
CGI being the key acronym there.

You can see the field lines ending in the middle of space sometimes

THEREFORE, LEGIT.

These images are natural and not computer generated like NASA's

:>

http://www.scivee.tv/node/6304

Last edited by a moderator:
those are all time lapse shots with a camera. i do it all the time.

What is the significance of NASA scientists making magnetic fields visible?

The ability to visualize magnetic fields allows scientists to better understand their behavior and how they interact with other forces in the universe. This can lead to advancements in technology, such as improved space weather forecasting and better spacecraft design.

How did NASA scientists make magnetic fields visible?

NASA used a process called Faraday rotation, which involves measuring how light is twisted as it passes through a magnetic field. This allowed scientists to create images of the magnetic field lines, making them visible to the human eye.

What types of magnetic fields can NASA scientists make visible?

NASA scientists have the ability to make visible magnetic fields on both small and large scales. This includes magnetic fields on planets, stars, and even in the vast space between galaxies.

What challenges did NASA scientists face in making magnetic fields visible?

One of the main challenges was developing the technology and techniques to accurately measure and image magnetic fields in space. This required precise instruments and sophisticated data analysis methods.

What are the potential applications of NASA's ability to make magnetic fields visible?

The ability to visualize magnetic fields has a wide range of potential applications, including improving our understanding of the solar system and other planetary systems, as well as aiding in the development of new technologies that rely on magnetic fields.