Uniform Circular Motion-Velocity

In summary, the problem involves a young David who experimented with slings of different lengths and found that a sling of length 0.650 m could revolve at a rate of 5.00 rev/s while a sling of length 0.950 m could only revolve at a rate of 3.00 rev/s. The task is to determine the speed of the stone for each rate of rotation. The given equations and attempted solution are correct, but the online platform may be picky in accepting answers. Another suggested equation is V = r \dot{\theta} with \dot{\theta} = 10 \pi radians / sec.
Guruu

Homework Statement

Here's the exact problem:
Young David who slew Goliath experimented with slings before tackling the giant. He found that he could revolve a sling of length 0.650 m at the rate of 5.00 rev/s. If he increased the length to 0.950 m, he could revolve the sling only 3.00 times per second.

What is the speed of the stone for each rate of rotation?

Then there's more but this is the only part I have trouble with

Homework Equations

T=(2piR)/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I set it up as V=(2(3.14)(.650m))/.2s
I get 20.4m/s, but the webassign thing I'm doing says that's wrong. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong, this should be a simple plug and chug kinda problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I personally don't see anything wrong with your work. Assignments that require you to input things online tend to be extremely picky on how you type the answer. Make sure you are following the directions carefully. If not, the webassign is just a piece of crap.

Yeah I just checked my e-mail and the professor had sent out a message saying he messed up the webassign. Well, at least my first physics forums post wasn't a waste of time!

You can also use

V = r [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex]

where [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] = 10 [tex]\pi[/tex] radians / sec.

The answer comes out the same, so I don't know why webassign considers it wrong.

Looks OK to me.

What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object travels the same distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a constant velocity.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in uniform circular motion?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of both speed and direction. In uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant, but the direction changes continuously, resulting in a changing velocity.

How is centripetal acceleration related to uniform circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circle that an object experiences in uniform circular motion. It is directly proportional to the square of the velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of the circle.

What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that is required to keep an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, this force acts towards the center of the circle and is provided by the tension in a string, the normal force of a surface, or the gravitational force between two objects.

How does the period of uniform circular motion change with the radius of the circle?

The period of uniform circular motion is the time it takes for an object to complete one full revolution. It is directly proportional to the circumference of the circle, which is directly proportional to the radius. Therefore, as the radius increases, the period also increases.