Absurd Inventions: Real Patents

• Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
In summary, people have spent thousands of dollars on real patents, with some interesting and humorous options such as the 12 gauge golf club, motorcycle airbag, and life expectancy watch. Other notable patents include the pantyhose 3x, ultimate combover, and sideways swinging on a child's swingset. Some absurd inventions include the "Bird Trap Cat Feeder," goosehead, "head napkin," "arm mitten," and "windy wheels."
Mattius_
these are real patents which people spent thousands of dollars on... i especially like the 12 gauge golf club, the motorcycle airbag, and ofcourse the life expectancy watch...

http://www.totallyabsurd.com/absurd.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the pantyhose 3x. Cool site.

my favorite so far- the ultimate combover. you can patent a way combing your hair? crazy!

I like the patent on swinging sideways on a child's swingset.

The "Bird Trap Cat Feeder" is diabolical.

Originally posted by Zero
I like the patent on swinging sideways on a child's swingset.

Where was that one? I couldn't find it.

The goosehead has got to be one of the silliest.

That "head napkin" was just retarded. I like what the site said, "Our extensive in-the-field testing has shown that the Head Napkin is just as effective as wearing a sign that says; 'Your don't see me, I'm not here'".

"Arm Mitten" LOL

lol the "windy wheels" is especially humorous.

Need to stop quickly during a strong gust of wind? Find something big and ram it.

lol

1. What exactly are "Absurd Inventions: Real Patents"?

"Absurd Inventions: Real Patents" refers to a collection of real patents that have been granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) for inventions that are considered to be strange, humorous, or impractical. These patents often showcase the creativity and imagination of inventors, but they may not have any practical use in the real world.

2. How are these inventions different from regular patents?

The main difference between these inventions and regular patents is their level of absurdity. While regular patents are granted for practical and useful inventions, these absurd inventions may be more for entertainment purposes and may not have any real-world applications.

3. Are these absurd inventions protected by law?

Yes, these absurd inventions are protected by law just like any other patent. They have gone through the same process of examination and approval by the USPTO and are granted the same rights and protections as regular patents. However, it is highly unlikely that these patents will ever be put into production or used in any practical way.

4. What makes an invention eligible for a patent?

In order for an invention to be eligible for a patent, it must meet three criteria: novelty, non-obviousness, and usefulness. This means that the invention must be new and different from anything that has been previously invented, it must not be an obvious improvement or combination of existing inventions, and it must have some practical application or use.

5. Can these absurd inventions ever be turned into real products?

While it is possible for some of these absurd inventions to be turned into real products, it is highly unlikely. Most of these inventions are purely for entertainment purposes and may not have any practical use. Additionally, the cost and effort involved in bringing a product to market may not be worth it for these absurd inventions.