Discrete Random Variables and Probability Distributions

In summary, this conversation discusses the concept of overbooking flights and how it relates to a probability distribution table. The probability of accommodating all ticketed passengers who show up is computed as 1 - P(Y>50). The conversation also addresses confusion about the wording of the problem and clarifies that the table represents the probability of how many people actually show up, not the number of tickets sold. Finally, the probabilities of a standby passenger getting on the flight are discussed, with the first person on the list having a higher chance (P(Y=<49)) compared to the third person (P(Y=<47)).
exitwound

Homework Statement

Airlines sometimes overbook flights. Suppose that for a plane with 50 seats, 55 passengers have tickets. Define the random variable Y as the number of ticketed passengers who actually show up for the flight. The probability mass function of Y appears in the accompanying table.

[tex]\begin{tabular}{ c | c c c c c c c c c c c}
y & 45 & 46 & 47 & 48 & 49 & 50 & 51 & 52 & 53 & 54 & 55 \\
\hline
p(y) & .05 & .10 & .12 & .14 &.25 &.17 & .06 & .05 & .03 & .02 & .01 \\
\end{tabular}[/tex]

a.) What is the probability that the flight will accommodate all ticketed passengers who show up?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it just the P(Y=<50)

I'm asking you. I don't know. I don't have an answer to this one so I don't know how to proceed.

It asks what's the probability that all ticketed passengers who show up will get a seat. So if 51,52, 53,54 or 55 passengers show up then there are some who don't get seats.
So you have to compute what's the probability that 50 or less passengers show up.
If you add up the probabilities on this chart it doesn't add to 1.
So you can't just add the probabilities from Y=1 to Y=50.
So you have to compute the prob of Y=<50. which is also
1 - P(Y>50) = 1- (P(Y=51)+P(Y=52)+P(Y=53)+P(Y=54)+P(Y=55))

If you add up the probabilities on the chart you do get 1.

And I'm confused by the problem anyway. All ticketed passengers WON'T get seated if 55 show up, or 54. They still have tickets and are overbooked so don't get on.

exitwound said:
If you add up the probabilities on the chart you do get 1.

And I'm confused by the problem anyway. All ticketed passengers WON'T get seated if 55 show up, or 54. They still have tickets and are overbooked so don't get on.

My bad i didn't add them correctly.
Right, so you can add the probabilities up to 50. You still get the same answer.

I think I'm interpreting the wording incorrectly. Am I to assume that the passengers up to #50 are the ones who "deserve" to be on the plane? I'm completely lost on the wording of the problem. It says that 55 people HAVE tickets. there's no way they can accommodate 55 tickets on the flight.

exitwound said:
I think I'm interpreting the wording incorrectly. Am I to assume that the passengers up to #50 are the ones who "deserve" to be on the plane? I'm completely lost on the wording of the problem. It says that 55 people HAVE tickets. there's no way they can accommodate 55 tickets on the flight.

Oh I see what you are confused about. The table of values represent the probability of how many people actually show up. So if only 49 people out of the 55 tickets sold show up everyone will be accommodated. If 51 people show up, then not everyone will be accommodated.
Just because 55 people bought tickets, doesn't mean that all those people will will show up. I believe that's what the problem is trying to explain.

So in this case, as long as 50 people show up, all tickets will be granted for the flight? I'm looking for P(Y≤50) which is P(46)+P(47)+...P(50)?

The question for B) is actually "What is the probability that not all ticketed passengers who show up can be accommodated?" which would then be P(Y>50) = P(51)+(P52)+P(53)+P(54)+P(55)?

c.) If you are the first person on the standby list (which means you will be the first one to get on the plane if there are any seats available after all ticketed passengers have been accommodated), what is the probability that you will be able to take the flight? What is this probability if you are the third person on the standby list?

I don't know how to do this one either.

exitwound said:
c.) If you are the first person on the standby list (which means you will be the first one to get on the plane if there are any seats available after all ticketed passengers have been accommodated), what is the probability that you will be able to take the flight? What is this probability if you are the third person on the standby list?

I don't know how to do this one either.

The prob that First person on standby would get on: P(Y=<49) you would need one person or more to not show up.
The third would be P(Y=<47)

What is a discrete random variable?

A discrete random variable is a variable that can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of distinct values. These values are often represented by whole numbers and can be the result of a random process, such as rolling a die or flipping a coin.

What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that assigns probabilities to each possible outcome of a random variable. It shows the likelihood of each possible outcome occurring in a given situation.

What is the difference between discrete and continuous random variables?

The main difference between discrete and continuous random variables is that discrete variables can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of distinct values, while continuous variables can take on any value within a specific range. Discrete random variables are often represented by whole numbers, while continuous random variables are often represented by decimal numbers.

How do you calculate the expected value of a discrete random variable?

The expected value of a discrete random variable is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its corresponding probability and then summing all of these products. In other words, it is the weighted average of all possible outcomes.

What is the role of probability distributions in statistical analysis?

Probability distributions play a crucial role in statistical analysis by allowing us to make predictions and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample of data. They also help us understand the likelihood of different outcomes and make informed decisions based on this information.