Lens and Sensor Setup: Detecting Magnified Images

• Optical
  • Thread starter kdkdkd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens Sensor
In summary, the speaker is discussing using a lens with a light sensor to improve detection capabilities. They mention using a convex lens to increase light intensity and the importance of properly positioning the lens, object, and sensor. They also mention using a laser as a source to eliminate the need for a lens. The speaker also clarifies that the sensor itself acts as the "screen" for the image formed by the lens.
kdkdkd
im in a slight fix.
i am presently using a light sensor. i was asked to use a lens along with it recently. is it because the obect i am going to sense is magnified by the lens so that sensor can detect it easily?

but, let's take the situation where a real image is formed because of the lens. Dont we need a screen in this case to project the image, for the sensor to view it? or is it that the sensor doesn't need a projected image.

lets imagine my sensor is a transmitter-detector led pair at an acute angle.
can a light sensor detect the converging(or diverging) rays from the lens, or do i require a proper projected image for sensing.

waiting for a reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
kdkdkd said:
lets imagine my sensor is a transmitter-detector led pair at an acute angle.
I am not quite sure what you mean by a detector LED. You can use an LDR as detector.
kdkdkd said:
i was asked to use a lens along with it recently. is it because the obect i am going to sense is magnified by the lens so that sensor can detect it easily?
Trivially, a convex lens is a converging lens in all but one positions of the object. This means that even if your source gives light that is diverged and hence has low intensity per unit area, the use of a convex lens will increase the intensity to some extent. But this would highly depend on the position of your source and the relative position of the detector wrt the source. If the position of your source is fixed, it will be easier. Do some calculations in ray optics to find where the rays will converge,and position your detector accordingly. You can use a laser for your source, thereby eliminating the need of a lens. Further calculations will depend on where you're positioning the source, how large your detector is, and what the separation between the source and detector.
kdkdkd said:
but, let's take the situation where a real image is formed because of the lens. Dont we need a screen in this case to project the image, for the sensor to view it? or is it that the sensor doesn't need a projected image.
That is not the case. I recommend you to read up something on ray optics for lens to better understand how things work.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
kdkdkd said:
lets take the situation where a real image is formed because of the lens. Dont we need a screen in this case to project the image, for the sensor to view it? or is it that the sensor doesn't need a projected image.
The light sensor IS the screen. Position the lens to put the image on the sensor.
kdkdkd said:
is it because the obect i am going to sense is magnified by the lens so that sensor can detect it easily?
A convex (positive) lens collects the light that shines on it and tends to aim it to a point. If you get the spacing between the object, the lens, and the sensor correct and also the focal length of the lens correct, the light collected by the lens will come to a point at the sensor. Since the lens is larger than the sensor, this results in more light on the sensor than the sensor by itself could collect.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is the purpose of a lens and sensor setup in detecting magnified images?

The purpose of a lens and sensor setup is to magnify an image and capture it using a sensor. This allows for better visualization and analysis of small or distant objects.

2. How does a lens and sensor setup work in detecting magnified images?

A lens and sensor setup works by using a lens to bend light rays and focus them onto a sensor. The sensor then converts the light into an electrical signal, which is processed to create a magnified image.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing a lens and sensor setup for detecting magnified images?

The main factors to consider are the magnification power of the lens, the size and resolution of the sensor, and the type of lighting used. Other factors may include the working distance, depth of field, and compatibility with other equipment.

4. Can a lens and sensor setup be used for both bright field and dark field imaging?

Yes, a lens and sensor setup can be used for both bright field and dark field imaging. Bright field imaging is used when the object is illuminated directly, while dark field imaging is used when the object is illuminated at an angle to create contrast.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and consistency of my lens and sensor setup for detecting magnified images?

To ensure accuracy and consistency, it is important to calibrate the setup regularly, use high-quality lenses and sensors, and follow proper maintenance and cleaning procedures. It is also helpful to use a control sample to compare images and make adjustments if necessary.