Why Does Metal Melt but Wood Doesn't?

In summary, wood cannot melt into liquid form because its main component, carbon, has a melting point too high to reach without combusting. Even if all oxygen is removed, the wood will chemically transform before reaching its melting point. This is similar to the process of making coal. Wood does not have a specific melting point due to its complex mixture of chemicals. The ashes left after burning wood are primarily carbon.
expscv
why is that metal can melt into liquid form but not wood, can anyone help me, thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Wood is mostly carbon, whose melting point is around 1500 K (but don't quote me on that). It will therefore combust long before you reach a temperature high enough to melt it.

Claude.

And even if you completely remove all oxigen, thus preventing combustion, IIRC the wood would transform into other stuff (chemically) before it reaches that temperature (or whatever the correct temperature is).

alpha_wolf said:
And even if you completely remove all oxigen, thus preventing combustion, IIRC the wood would transform into other stuff (chemically) before it reaches that temperature (or whatever the correct temperature is).
In junior high, I did an experiment where we heated wood in a test tube over a bunsen burner. It does exactly that: you drive off water vapor and methane, leaving carbon.

alpha_wolf said:
Does this mean that the melting point of wood is actually the melting point of the products formed from wood after it's transformed?

russ_watters said:
In junior high, I did an experiment where we heated wood in a test tube over a bunsen burner. It does exactly that: you drive off water vapor and methane, leaving carbon.

That's how they make coal, isn't it?

russ_watters said:
Crumbles said:
That's how they make coal, isn't it?
Now that I think about it, I think we used to make our own coal when I was little, by heating pieces of wood in our kitchen oven. I don't remember for sure, but we probably wrapped it in something to prevent it from combusting.
Crumbles said:
Does this mean that the melting point of wood is actually the melting point of the products formed from wood after it's transformed?
I'd say that wood basically doesn't have a melting point at all. Btw, not all materials melt (at least at normal temperature and pressure) - some go straight to gas, e.g. CO2. It's called sublimation.

Crumbles said:
You could say that: wood is just too complex of a mixture of chemicals for it to have a melting point.

So, the ashes left after combusting wood is carbon right?

ArmoSkater87 said:
So, the ashes left after combusting wood is carbon right?
yup :smile:

1. Why does metal melt at high temperatures while wood does not?

Metal and wood have different chemical compositions that affect their melting points. Metals have strong metallic bonds between atoms, which require a lot of energy to break and cause them to melt at high temperatures. Wood, on the other hand, is mainly composed of cellulose and lignin, which do not have strong bonds and therefore do not melt easily.

2. Can any type of metal melt, or are there exceptions?

All metals have the potential to melt, but the temperature at which they melt varies depending on their chemical composition. Some metals, like tungsten, have extremely high melting points and are used in high-temperature applications such as light bulb filaments. Other metals, like gallium, have low melting points and can even melt in your hand.

3. Does the melting point of metal affect its strength?

Yes, the melting point of metal is closely related to its strength. Metals with higher melting points tend to be stronger and more durable, as they can withstand higher temperatures and have stronger bonds between atoms. This is why metals like steel and titanium are commonly used in construction and engineering.

4. Is there a specific temperature at which all metals will melt?

No, there is no specific temperature at which all metals will melt. As mentioned earlier, the melting point of metal varies depending on its chemical composition. Some metals can melt at room temperature, while others require extremely high temperatures to melt. Additionally, the melting point of a metal can also be affected by external factors such as pressure and impurities.

5. Can wood ever melt?

Technically, wood does not melt in the same sense as metals do. However, it can undergo a process called pyrolysis, where it is heated to high temperatures and breaks down into gases and charcoal. This process is often used to create charcoal for grilling. So while wood may not melt like metal does, it can still be transformed by heat.