Calculating Horizontal Distance of Ball Bearing with Mass 11.0 g

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the horizontal distance a small steel ball bearing would travel when released from a compressed spring at a 30-degree angle from the horizontal. The initial velocity and time in the air were calculated, but it was determined that there is no need to calculate the time. Instead, the projectile range equation can be used to find the horizontal distance. It was also mentioned that half of the ball bearing's initial speed is in the vertical direction, and therefore only a quarter of its kinetic energy is available for conversion to potential energy.
SMS
A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 11.0 g is on a short compressed spring. When aimed vertically and suddenly released, the spring sends the bearing to a height of 1.37 m. Calculate the horizontal distance the ball would travel if the same spring were aimed 30.0 deg from the horizontal.

I started off by getting the initial velocity for when it was released vertically and got vo=5.18m/s.

Then I used the initial velocity to find time in the air using cos theta and got t=.08s but I do not think that is right and this is where I got stuck.

So if someone can show me what I did wrong or missed it would help.

Thanks,
SMS

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy expended by the spring to get the ball to that height will be the same energy in shooting it horizontally.

You don't need to calculate the time. You found the V_o now simply stick that into the projectile range equation. If you don't know this off hand you can derive it by solving the 'y' equation for 't' where y=0 (the bearing has landed thus zero) and substituting that equation in terms of 't' into the 'x' equation. It's actually pretty easy to do and if you know your trig identies you'll have a 3 term equation on the right side where 2 terms are constants(the angle and gravity).

Good luck.

When projected at 30 degrees exactly half of the ball bearing's initial speed is in the vertical direction which means that [tex]\frac {1}{4}[/tex] of its kinetic energy is available for conversion to potential energy. The bearing will rise to [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] of the original height.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone in here who helped. I got the answer after beating myself with a hammer and realizing how easy it was. :rofl:

1. How do you calculate the horizontal distance of a ball bearing with a mass of 11.0 g?

The horizontal distance of a ball bearing can be calculated using the formula: d = v0t + 0.5at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). To calculate the initial velocity, you can use the equation v0 = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height the ball bearing was dropped from.

2. What is the initial velocity of a ball bearing with a mass of 11.0 g?

The initial velocity of a ball bearing can be calculated using the equation v0 = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2) and h is the height the ball bearing was dropped from. The height can be determined by measuring the height of the drop and converting it to meters.

3. How do you convert grams to kilograms?

To convert grams to kilograms, you can divide the mass (in grams) by 1000. So, for a ball bearing with a mass of 11.0 g, the mass in kilograms would be 11.0 g ÷ 1000 = 0.011 kg.

4. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s2 on Earth. This means that for every second an object falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second.

5. How does the mass of the ball bearing affect the horizontal distance?

The mass of the ball bearing does not directly affect the horizontal distance. The horizontal distance is primarily determined by the initial velocity and time of flight, which are affected by the height the ball bearing is dropped from. However, a heavier ball bearing may experience more air resistance and therefore have a slightly shorter horizontal distance compared to a lighter ball bearing.