Do we really need faster processors?

• Thread starter ramollari
  • Start date
In summary: My brother is playing Call of Duty, and more processor would help there too. But the number of people playing Call of Duty is much greater than the number of people encoding video, so there are a lot more people who want a faster Call of Duty than people who want faster video encoding.In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of CPU speed and whether it is necessary to have faster CPUs. The group agrees that it depends on the application and that for certain tasks, such as scientific computing and video encoding, a faster CPU can greatly improve performance. However, others argue that for tasks that heavily rely on peripherals, such as gaming, a faster CPU may not make as much of a difference. It is also mentioned that improving other hardware components
ramollari
Research in operating systems has shown that most of the time in the computer is spent with I/O operations, like disk write/read, network I/O, etc., while the processors' speeds have advanced so much that they mainly stay idle. Even CPU intensive operations, like compiling and long calculations are done relatively quickly. So why would we need much faster CPUs, let's say a CPU of some THz clock rate? The effect would have been almost ignorable, knowing that most of the time would be spent with peripherals. Don't we have to improve all the hardware in parallel before we think of major advances in CPU speeds? Why for example would one have to buy the expensive 3GHz+ processors while a much cheaper 2GHz processor would suffice?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Processing ability is not measurable by clock rate or any other discrete processor characteristics. This is explained in terms of the g factor and the human brain in Arthur Jensen's The g Factor.

It very much depends on the application of the computer. If you're doing any sort of scientific computing, involving numerical computations, the CPU is the most important componet, and speed/optimizations do help quite a bit. If the application does any sort of disk or memory swapping, and graphics, then of course the most important componet will not be the processor. As I said, it strictly depends on what the application of the system is.

As stated in another thread, the amount of cycles/second a processor can do is not the only factor when one evaluates the overall "speed" of a processor. Many compilers are geared towards specific processors because of the specific optimizations they have. And the converse, as well, many processors are geared towards certain compilers. Overgeneralizing is common by just referring to x86 processors not gaining any compiler performance for minute increases in their frequency.

Keep in mind, emphasizing that *all* CPU manufacturer's have a focus increasing their CPU's frequency is simply not true - the x86 manufacturers are doing this, stressing frequency over optimization and processor design. Remember, most consumers care about the number of Hz a processor can do over the processor design. Not that I'm criticizing Intel or AMD, but the PowerPC and SPARC are well, well below 2gHz and both can compare reasonably well to x86 chips running at ~3gHz in floating point and integer arithmetic.

Last edited:
depending on what you use you computer would justify whether someone needs a faster computer or not. the thing is i would like faster processors whether we really need them or not, i am dying for the day when the first quantum processor is used.

cipher said:
i am dying for the day when the first quantum processor is used.
I would rather think an optical processor that uses light impulses than electricity. But what's the deal, after all. If we don't improve hard disks, network connections, bus speed, memories, and so on, there won't be a significant increase in performance.

cipher said:
depending on what you use you computer would justify whether someone needs a faster computer or not.
There are two things one should consider. First of all, any computer today is perfoming I/O operations. That's the general pattern. Second of all, any operating system implements virtual memory, so disk read/writes have to be performed continually.

ramollari:

Many programs (such as scientific computations) involve very little I/O. Second, you don't necessarily have to make use of an OS's virtual memory services; nor do you need to use an OS that offers them. In some cases, you don't even need (or want) a distinct operating system at all.

- Warren

i guess everyone (except chroot) is relating their posts to OSs like windows. Anyway i totally agree with improving the peripherals. i think the usb and firewire have been improvements in that area though.

cipher said:
i guess everyone (except chroot) is relating their posts to OSs like windows. Anyway i totally agree with improving the peripherals. i think the usb and firewire have been improvements in that area though.

I fail to see how I related to Windows.

People like things to be fast. Even though I only spend an average of two minutes a day microwaving stuff, I'd still like a faster microwave.

Same thing goes for my PC.

ceptimus said:
People like things to be fast. Even though I only spend an average of two minutes a day microwaving stuff, I'd still like a faster microwave.

Same thing goes for my PC.
Faster CPUs do not necessarily ensure a faster PC overall.

It very much depends on the application of the computer. If you're doing any sort of scientific computing, involving numerical computations, the CPU is the most important componet, and speed/optimizations do help quite a bit. If the application does any sort of disk or memory swapping, and graphics, then of course the most important componet will not be the processor. As I said, it strictly depends on what the application of the system is.

I second this ... also when doing numerical comps the moment the analysis hits swap or serious disk activity the analysis is often lost ... in "large" analyses you've pretty much got to keep it in memory & let the CPU do its magic, otherwise throughput times go off the ceiling. The fact that in number crunching the trend has been ever more towards parallel systems is an indication that higher power CPUs are required, at minimum you need a small cluster or a high end multi-CPU server to get anything real done.

ramollari said:
Faster CPUs do not necessarily ensure a faster PC overall.
As others have said, it depends an awful lot on what you use the computer for. I'm transfering my family VHS movies to DVD and some more processor for the encoding would be nice.

1. What is the purpose of having faster processors?

Faster processors are designed to improve the speed and performance of tasks that require high computing power, such as gaming, video editing, and data analysis. They can also enhance the overall user experience by reducing loading times and increasing system responsiveness.

2. Are faster processors necessary for everyday tasks?

For basic everyday tasks like web browsing, word processing, and email, faster processors may not be necessary. However, as technology and software continue to advance, having a faster processor can future-proof your device and ensure it can handle more demanding tasks in the future.

3. How do faster processors affect battery life?

Faster processors tend to consume more power, which can have a negative impact on battery life. However, with advancements in processor technology, manufacturers are able to balance performance and power efficiency, resulting in longer battery life for devices with faster processors.

4. Is there a limit to how fast processors can get?

There is no definite limit to how fast processors can get, as advancements in technology continue to push the boundaries. However, there are physical limitations such as heat dissipation and power consumption that may restrict the speed at which processors can operate.

5. Do all devices benefit from having faster processors?

No, not all devices may benefit from having faster processors. Devices that are designed for basic tasks may not require the processing power of a faster processor, and the cost of the processor may not be justified. It ultimately depends on the intended use and needs of the user.