What seismic design codes should I consider for my subsea structures?

In summary, a seismic design code/standard is a set of guidelines and regulations developed by experts in earthquake engineering to ensure that structures are designed and built to withstand seismic forces. It is important to follow these codes/standards to reduce the risk of structural failure and loss of life. They are developed through a collaborative process and include key elements such as determining seismic hazard, classifying structures, and providing design criteria. Different regions have different codes/standards based on their level of seismic activity.
aa2105
Hi

I am looking for a "Western" seismic analysis design code? So something by BS, ISO, API, etc...

If there is one specific to the oil & gas industry and subsea strucutures, then great, but as this may not be available, any code on structural seismic design would do.

I essentially need to check which seismicity level below which analysis is not really needed - I think its above MSK VII but need confirmation...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Adnan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look at 2003 IBC and 1997 UBC.

1. What is a seismic design code/standard?

A seismic design code/standard is a set of guidelines and regulations that specify the minimum requirements for designing structures to resist seismic forces. These codes/standards are developed by experts in the field of earthquake engineering and are continuously updated based on new research and advancements in technology.

2. Why is it important to follow a seismic design code/standard?

Following a seismic design code/standard ensures that structures are designed and built to withstand the potentially devastating effects of earthquakes. By adhering to these guidelines, the risk of structural failure and loss of life is significantly reduced.

3. How are seismic design codes/standards developed?

Seismic design codes/standards are developed through a collaborative process involving experts from various fields, including earthquake engineering, seismology, and architecture. They are based on extensive research and analysis of past earthquakes, as well as experiments and simulations.

4. What are some key elements included in a seismic design code/standard?

Some key elements of a seismic design code/standard include the determination of the seismic hazard in a specific region, the classification of structures based on their intended use and importance, and the design criteria for different types of structures and materials. It also includes guidelines for site selection, foundation design, and construction practices.

5. Are there different seismic design codes/standards for different regions?

Yes, there are different seismic design codes/standards for different regions as the level of seismic activity and the types of structures vary from one location to another. For example, the seismic design code/standard for a high-risk earthquake zone will be more stringent compared to a low-risk zone. It is crucial to follow the specific code/standard for the region where the structure is being built.