How to calculate time for ticker tape to move from a point to another point?

In summary, to calculate time for ticker tape to move from a point to another point, you use a steel strip which vibrates 50 times a second and makes 50 dots a second on a paper. If you have 50 dots per second, then 1 dot corresponds to 0.02s. The distance between dots (any 2 dots or more) corresponds to what? What does it mean to measure the distance between these dots? If you have 50 dots per second, then 1 dot corresponds to 0.02s. The speed of the tape is different for dots that are further away from each other? that would be 2 unknown variables which I don't know how to solve. But regardless, the time taken would still be 0.02s from
Mphisto

Homework Statement

Question: How to calculate time for ticker tape to move from a point to another point?
"The ticker-tape timer consists of a steel strip which vibrates 50 times a second and makes 50 dots a second on a paper being pull through it."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the dots on the ticker tape are increasing in distance, how to count the time taken for it to move from a point to the other? I have no idea what to begin with...

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with this:

The distance between dots (any 2 dots or more) corresponds to what? What does it mean to measure the distance between these dots?

If you have 50 dots per second, how many seconds does 1 dot correspond to?

DivisionByZro said:
Start with this:

The distance between dots (any 2 dots or more) corresponds to what? What does it mean to measure the distance between these dots?

If you have 50 dots per second, how many seconds does 1 dot correspond to?

1 dot correspond to 0.02 sec, but how do I calculate for those that are further apart from the constant ones ( constant distance between the dots)

Remember that the more dots you measure, the more precise your average measurement will be. Now, you know the time it takes for two dots to be drawn, if you measure the distance between any two dots, you know that it took 0.02s to cover that distance. What can you say about the speed of the tape? For the ones that seem further than others, calculate them in the same way.

DivisionByZro said:
Remember that the more dots you measure, the more precise your average measurement will be. Now, you know the time it takes for two dots to be drawn, if you measure the distance between any two dots, you know that it took 0.02s to cover that distance. What can you say about the speed of the tape? For the ones that seem further than others, calculate them in the same way.

Wouldn't the speed and distance be different for dots that are further away from each other? that would be 2 unknown variables which I don't know how to solve...

P.S. it is in an increasing acceleration

[STRIKE]Oooo, regardless how far dots are apart from each other, the time taken would still be 0.02s from a dot to the other? am i right?[/STRIKE]

EDIT: do we use a ruler to measure? on the ticker tape

Last edited:
Yes use a ruler, and yes if the dots are increasing in distance then there is an acceleration, you have to account for that.
How is acceleration linked to velocity? (In terms of formulas)

DivisionByZro said:
Yes use a ruler, and yes if the dots are increasing in distance then there is an acceleration, you have to account for that.
How is acceleration linked to velocity? (In terms of formulas)

Yeah, i figured out how to do it :smile:

Thanks guys!

1. How do I measure the time for ticker tape to move from one point to another?

To measure the time for ticker tape to move from one point to another, you will need a stopwatch and a ticker tape. Start the stopwatch when the ticker tape reaches the first point and stop it when it reaches the second point. The time shown on the stopwatch is the time taken for the ticker tape to move between the two points.

2. What is the unit of measurement for time in calculating ticker tape motion?

The unit of measurement for time in calculating ticker tape motion is seconds. This is the standard unit of measurement for time in the International System of Units (SI).

3. Can I use any type of ticker tape for this experiment?

Yes, you can use any type of ticker tape for this experiment as long as it has evenly spaced dots or marks. This will help in accurately measuring the distance traveled by the ticker tape.

4. How many trials should I do to get an accurate measurement of time?

To get an accurate measurement of time, you should do at least three trials and take the average of the three results. This will help in reducing any errors or inconsistencies in the measurements.

5. Is there any other way to calculate the time for ticker tape motion?

Yes, there are other ways to calculate the time for ticker tape motion, such as using a motion sensor or a high-speed camera. These methods may provide more accurate results, but they require specialized equipment and may be more complex to set up.