Question on movement speeds relative to an observer.

In summary, to appear to someone at the same speed as another person, the person traveling must travel at 5 metres per second.
Ralphonsicus
Say I am at point X. My friend, Gary, is 20m from X, and my friend Liam is 40m from X. Gary is traveling at 5 metres per second in a circle around me, remaining 20m from X. What speed must Liam travel at to appear, to me, to be traveling at the same speed as Gary? Is it 10 metres per second or is it more complicated?

Physics news on Phys.org
5 metres per second.

ghwellsjr said:
5 metres per second.

Maybe I phrased it wrong. Imagine that Liam wants to stay hidden behind Gary as Gary walks, while Liam himself remains 40m away, and Gary 20m?

10 metres per second. But Liam will have to start walking a little before Gary in order to stay hidden.

It's 10m/s, Liam is going to have to run as fast as Usain Bolt.

Gary's circle of radius 20m has a circumference of pi*D, where D is diameter = 2*20m
So, Gary's circle is about 125.6m around. If he walks 5m of that in one second, then the time around is 125.6m/(5m/1s)=125.6ms/5m=25.12s
Liam would need to walk his circle in the same time as 25.12s
The circumference of Liam's circle is pi*D where D is 2*40m, or 251.2m
Liam needs to go 251.2m in 25.12s, so 251.2m/25.12s=10m/s

George, unless Gary is very thin and Liam pretty fat (for a thought experiment both might be considered identical sized spheres), Liam should subtend a small enough area behind Gary that his image will stay well within that subtended by Gary with plenty of overlap to account for the delaying of his light image, at least at these distances.
But I guess the next step you are anticipating would be to determine the sizes of Gary and Liam, and the respective distances at which the geometrical subtended overlap is overcome by the delay in light. That calculation would be complex because the segment of arc subtended by Gary or Liam would intersect them (if they were spheres with their centers located on the circumference of their walking circles) not as a diameter of their sphere, but as less than their diameters (a little closer to the central observer)... and by then there might be numerous relativistic principles to consider.

Last edited:

1. How can an observer determine the movement speed of an object?

An observer can determine the movement speed of an object by measuring the distance the object travels in a given amount of time. This can be done using tools such as a stopwatch or a radar gun.

2. Is the movement speed of an object always the same for all observers?

No, the movement speed of an object can vary depending on the reference frame of the observer. For example, an object may appear to be moving at a different speed to someone standing still compared to someone in a moving vehicle.

3. How does the speed of light relate to the movement speed of an object?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and is the fastest possible speed at which anything can travel. The movement speed of an object cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. Can an object have different movement speeds in different directions?

Yes, an object can have different movement speeds in different directions. This is known as velocity and takes into account the direction of an object's movement as well as its speed.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its movement speed?

The mass of an object can affect its movement speed by influencing the amount of force needed to accelerate the object. Objects with larger masses require more force to move at the same speed as objects with smaller masses.