Deciding between U British Columbia and UC San Diego for physics

In summary, the individual is deciding between the University of British Columbia and UC San Diego for graduate studies in physics. They are interested in experimental condensed matter and possibly experimental AMO. They are unsure of the reputation and culture of both departments and plan on visiting both schools and talking to professors before making a decision. Financial offers are not finalized yet and will be a secondary factor in their decision.
charndt
Deciding between U British Columbia and UC San Diego for graduate studies in physics

I've been accepted to the University of British Columbia and UC San Diego for graduate studies in physics, and I'm having trouble deciding between the two.

I don't know how UBC compares to UCSD academic/prestige wise (I know that UCSD is a great school, but I am not very familiar with UBCs reputation). I am interested in experimental condensed matter and possibly experimental AMO. Both UCSD and UBC seem to have good experimental condensed matter departments, but only UBC has experimental AMO. I might be interested in experimental biophysics, which UCSD is strong in, but I haven't looked into this much.

Does anyone know how the culture of the departments compare? I know that in general west coast US schools are a little more laid back, but that's the extent of my knowledge in this regard.

Regarding the cities themselves, I've heard that San Diego is somewhat sterile, at least for a young adult. Vancouver seems more diverse from what I've read, but I haven't visited either place yet.

The financial offers haven't been finalized yet either, so I can't take this into account (it would be a secondary factor anyway).

I plan on talking to some professors at my university and I am going to visit both schools in the next month, but I just wanted to see if anyone here had an opinion either way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really give specific input on the schools, but it's unclear from your post whether you are talking graduate studies or undergraduate studies.

If it's for graduate school, your decision should be based on some combination of availability of professors doing research in which you are interested in and comfort with the people and location of the school. If possible, I recommend scheduling a campus visit, so that you have a good first-hand idea about both these factors.

bromden said:
I can't really give specific input on the schools, but it's unclear from your post whether you are talking graduate studies or undergraduate studies.

If it's for graduate school, your decision should be based on some combination of availability of professors doing research in which you are interested in and comfort with the people and location of the school. If possible, I recommend scheduling a campus visit, so that you have a good first-hand idea about both these factors.

Whoops. Fixed. And yes, I plan on visiting both schools.

Thanks for the general advice.

1. What are the major differences between the physics programs at UBC and UCSD?

Both UBC and UCSD have strong physics programs, but there are some key differences. UBC focuses on a more theoretical approach to physics, while UCSD has a stronger emphasis on experimental research. Additionally, UBC offers a Co-op program where students can gain practical experience in the field, while UCSD has a larger array of research facilities.

2. How do the faculty and research opportunities compare between UBC and UCSD?

Both UBC and UCSD have highly qualified faculty members and a wide range of research opportunities. However, UBC is known for its smaller class sizes and more personalized interactions with professors, while UCSD has a larger faculty and more research funding available.

3. What are the financial considerations for attending UBC versus UCSD?

The cost of attending UBC or UCSD will depend on several factors, such as location, housing, and personal expenses. In terms of tuition, UBC is slightly more affordable for international students, while UCSD has a lower cost of living in the surrounding area.

4. How do the locations of UBC and UCSD impact the overall experience for physics students?

UBC is located in Vancouver, Canada, while UCSD is located in San Diego, California. Both cities have a vibrant and diverse community, but the climate and cultural differences may play a role in deciding which location is a better fit for a student's personal preferences.

5. What are the job prospects for physics graduates from UBC and UCSD?

Both UBC and UCSD have strong reputations and connections with various industries, making job prospects for physics graduates promising. UBC's Co-op program may give students an edge in gaining practical experience and job opportunities, while UCSD's location in a hub of technology and research can also offer a wide range of career paths.