Accumulation/densification points.

• Thread starter Galileo
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, there is a difference between the definitions of accumulation point and densification point in Dutch, and the equivalent English terms are accumulation point and limit point. These definitions are strictly in the field of Topology and are used differently by topologists and analysts.
Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I noticed a small difference in two definitions I thought were equal.
We have two different words for these points in Dutch. Can someone tell me the equivalent english terms?
These definitions are strictly in the field of Topology (no metrics or sequences or limits allowed).

Let X be a topological space and A a subset of X.

Accumulation point (translated from Dutch 'ophopingspunt'):
A point [itex]x \in X[/itex] is called an accumulation point of [itex]A[/itex] if every open neighbourhood of [itex]x[/itex] has a non-empty intersection with [itex]A[/itex].

This one's a toughy to translate. Here are a few attempts:
Densification point - Aggregation point (translated from Dutch 'verdichtingspunt'):
A point [itex]x \in X[/itex] is called a 'densification' point of [itex]A[/itex] if every open neighbourhood of [itex]x[/itex] contains a point of [itex]A[/itex] unequal to [itex]x[/itex].

BTW: I think I've seen these being mixed up in Dutch as well...

Anyone?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is a difference when x is in A, but is an isolated point. In this case x is an accumulation point, but not a "densification" point.

mathman said:
There is a difference when x is in A, but is an isolated point. In this case x is an accumulation point, but not a "densification" point.
I know. I asked if someone knew the equivalent english names. :wink:

well topologists use mostly the concept of accumulation point, and do not use the other concept at all nowadays, at least in my opinion, (not a topologist though).

analysts however, being old fashioned, still use the second concept and call it "limit point".

this causes topology students some difficulty when taking prelim exams written by analysts.

1. What are accumulation/densification points?

Accumulation/densification points, also known as critical points, are locations in a physical system where the properties of the system change dramatically. They are points of transition, where a substance changes from one state to another, such as from liquid to gas or from solid to liquid.

2. How are accumulation/densification points determined?

Accumulation/densification points are determined by analyzing the behavior of a physical system under different conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or composition. These points can also be calculated using mathematical models and equations that describe the behavior of the system.

3. What is the significance of accumulation/densification points?

Accumulation/densification points are important because they mark the boundaries between different phases or states of matter in a physical system. They are also critical for understanding the behavior of materials and substances, and can be used in various applications such as in engineering, chemistry, and meteorology.

4. Can accumulation/densification points be changed?

The location of accumulation/densification points can be changed by altering the conditions of the physical system, such as changing the temperature or pressure. In some cases, substances can also be manipulated to exhibit different accumulation/densification points by altering their chemical composition or structure.

5. What are some examples of accumulation/densification points in everyday life?

Some common examples of accumulation/densification points in everyday life include the boiling and freezing points of water, the melting point of ice, the condensation point of steam, and the critical point of a gas. These points are crucial for various processes and phenomena, such as cooking, weather patterns, and the functioning of refrigerators and air conditioners.