Solve Mesh Analysis Problem: Use Super Mesh?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit problem using mesh analysis and the concept of a "supermesh" when dealing with current sources. The individual suggests using KVL and KCL to find the relationships between currents in the supermesh. They also provide a source for tutorials on network analysis.
shaiqbashir
Hi Guys!
well! i have made my all efforts in solving this circuit please help me.
WHat technique should i use?
Super mesh? or what?
Plz help me

Attachments

• mesh_prb.JPG
    mesh_prb.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 718
Physics news on Phys.org
Same problem. Attachment is Pending Approval. Is it too big maybe?

Do you have to do it with mesh analysis? I would do nodal analysis on the top 3 nodes.

Alright, what you have in this circuit is I2 an independent current source and I1 a dependent Voltage controlled current source (VCCS).
In mesh analysis with current sources a special case arises when two meshes have a (dependent or independent) current source in common this case is called a "supermesh".
In a supermesh you must combine the meshes that the current source is shared in, creating alarger one. If a circuit has two or more supermeshes they should be combined to form a larger supermesh.
In this case your suprmesh is the three meshes in which I2 and I1 are a part of. Apply KVL to the whole loop of the supermesh. Then use KCL to find the relationships between your currents (from KVL), you must do this because no known voltage sources are known.

I would show you some of my work but I do not know how far you have gotten and wouldn't want to spoil the learning process for you (lmao)!

*Info paraphrased from "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" 2nd edt. Alexander-Sadiku p.96*

Check their webpage out at:
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sit...iew0/chapter3/network_analysis_tutorials.html

This contains network analysis tutorials that helped me out when I took this subject.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

1. What is mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method used to solve electrical circuits by dividing the circuit into smaller loops, known as meshes. It involves applying Kirchhoff's voltage law and Ohm's law to each mesh to determine the current and voltage values.

2. How is super mesh different from regular mesh analysis?

Super mesh is a variation of mesh analysis that is used when a current source is present in a mesh. It involves creating a super mesh by combining two adjacent meshes and treating the current source as an external element.

3. What are the steps for solving a super mesh problem?

The steps for solving a super mesh problem are as follows:
1. Identify the meshes in the circuit
2. Create a super mesh by combining two adjacent meshes
3. Apply Kirchhoff's voltage law to the super mesh
4. Apply Ohm's law to any resistors in the super mesh
5. Solve the resulting equations to find the current and voltage values in the super mesh
6. Use the values to find the values in the original meshes.

4. When should super mesh be used?

Super mesh should be used when there is a current source present in a mesh. This method allows for the analysis of circuits that cannot be solved using regular mesh analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using super mesh?

Yes, there are some limitations to using super mesh. It can only be used when there is a current source present in a mesh and the circuit must be planar, meaning that it can be drawn on a flat surface without any crossing lines. Additionally, super mesh cannot be used when there are current sources present in both meshes that are being combined to create the super mesh.