Spring constant and stiffness constant

In summary: The spring constant (k) is the ratio of the force applied to the displacement it causes. It is a measure of the stiffness of the spring.
janice778

Homework Statement

A mass m hangs from a spring with stiffness constant k. The spring is cut in half and the same mass hung from it. WIll the new arrangement have a higher or a lower stiffness constant than the original spring?

Homework Equations

F= -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the spring will have the same spring stiffness. I don't feel that the spring constant is something that can be changed. If it was, then it shouldn't be called a constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
janice778 said:

Homework Statement

A mass m hangs from a spring with stiffness constant k. The spring is cut in half and the same mass hung from it. WIll the new arrangement have a higher or a lower stiffness constant than the original spring?

Homework Equations

F= -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the spring will have the same spring stiffness. I don't feel that the spring constant is something that can be changed. If it was, then it shouldn't be called a constant.

as far as you're concerned yes it doesn't change. also as far as I'm concerned it doesn't because I'm a noob but i do know that it does actually change because i know that cutting suspension springs changes their frequency of oscillation which is directly proportional to the root of [tex]\frac{K}{m}[/tex] which means the K does change. i just don't know how

No, it is the spring constant. It does not change assuming it is the same spring. It will just half the amount of compression that the spring can take before you go past the limit.

On a side note, I think my arrow keys are disable in the forum and when I hit the apostrophe key I get a quick search link. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Last edited:
Stevedye56 said:
No, it is the spring constant. It does not change assuming it is the same spring. It will just half the amount of compression that the spring can take before you go past the limit.

On a side note, I think my arrow keys are disable in the forum and when I hit the apostrophe key I get a quick search link. Is anyone else having the same problem?

yup you're right, the cutting of the springs affecting springs rate is because it messes up the local annealing in the spring

ice109 said:
yup you're right, the cutting of the springs affecting springs rate is because it messes up the local annealing in the spring

I don't really understand what you just said. I also don't understand what is meant by "rate".

Stevedye56 said:
I don't really understand what you just said. I also don't understand what is meant by "rate".

free frequency of oscillation is what i meant by spring rate,

wiki said:
Damage to springs, such as using oxy-acetylene to cut the end off a car suspension spring to lower a vehicle's ride height, can destroy the tempering in localised areas of the spring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_spring

tempering i meant the tempering of the spring is affected

If it isn't a car spring I highly doubt that you would use a acetylene torch to cut it. Say a mechanical pencil spring

Stevedye56 said:
If it isn't a car spring I highly doubt that you would use a acetylene torch to cut it. Say a mechanical pencil spring

you were right, i was wrong, i was confused about why the K of the spring is affected.

ice109 said:
you were right, i was wrong, i was confused about why the K of the spring is affected.

Whoah, I wasn't trying to be condescending, sorry if it came off like that.:frown::frown:

Stevedye56 said:
Whoah, I wasn't trying to be condescending, sorry if it came off like that.:frown::frown:

i didn't think you came off as condescending:biggrin:

thanks everyone for the help

janice778 said:
I think that the spring will have the same spring stiffness.
Think about the definition of spring constant. If a spring is cut in half, is it easier or harder to stretch it a given amount?

Another way to look at it: Hang a weight from the original spring and it stretches the spring a distance X. Now imagine that the spring is really two springs attached together (each one half the size). How much does that weight stretch each half-spring?

I don't feel that the spring constant is something that can be changed. If it was, then it shouldn't be called a constant.
It's a constant for a given spring--as long as you don't stretch it too far. In Hooke's law (F = -kx), F and x change as you stretch the spring, but k remains constant. If you modify the spring by cutting it, you create a new spring with a new spring constant.

Doc Al said:
Think about the definition of spring constant. If a spring is cut in half, is it easier or harder to stretch it a given amount?

Another way to look at it: Hang a weight from the original spring and it stretches the spring a distance X. Now imagine that the spring is really two springs attached together (each one half the size). How much does that weight stretch each half-spring?It's a constant for a given spring--as long as you don't stretch it too far. In Hooke's law (F = -kx), F and x change as you stretch the spring, but k remains constant. If you modify the spring by cutting it, you create a new spring with a new spring constant.

what is the definition of the spring constant? is it not F/x

ice109 said:
what is the definition of the spring constant? is it not F/x
That's correct.

1. What is the difference between spring constant and stiffness constant?

Spring constant, also known as force constant, is a measure of how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. Stiffness constant, on the other hand, is a measure of how much force is required to produce a certain amount of deformation in a material. In other words, spring constant is specific to springs, while stiffness constant can be applied to any elastic material.

2. How do you calculate the spring constant and stiffness constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to a spring by the resulting displacement. It can also be determined by dividing the elastic potential energy stored in a spring by the amount of displacement. Stiffness constant can be calculated by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (ratio of change in length to original length).

3. What factors affect the spring constant and stiffness constant?

The spring constant is affected by the material of the spring, the diameter and length of the spring, and the number of coils. The stiffness constant is affected by the material properties of the object, such as Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio, as well as the dimensions and geometry of the object.

4. How are spring constant and stiffness constant related to each other?

Spring constant and stiffness constant are related through Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring. This means that as the spring constant increases, so does the stiffness constant, and vice versa.

5. How do changes in temperature affect the spring constant and stiffness constant?

For most materials, an increase in temperature will result in a decrease in both the spring constant and stiffness constant. This is because as the temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more, making it easier for the material to deform under a given force. However, some materials, such as rubber, exhibit the opposite effect, where an increase in temperature results in an increase in spring constant and stiffness constant.