Does tangential acceleration have direction like regular acceleration?

In summary: True, but you have to admit, it is confusing. Acceleration is the change in velocity over time, and tangential acceleration is the change in tangential velocity over time, but tangential velocity doesn't include direction like regular acceleration does. It's just speed.
localrob
I know if I apply a force(perpendicular to he radius) to a wheel to rotate it, I am applying a torque. I change the wheel's angular acceleration, thus creating a torque.
I can find the direction of a torque via the right hand rule.

If there is a wheel spinning in space where there are no forces acting on it, does the wheel still have a torque?
([tex]\tau[/tex] = L[tex]\alpha[/tex])
Doesn't the wheel still have an angular acceleration?

I'm afraid I've been thinking about all of this too much and am beginning to confuse myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
In space or not, if there is no force acting on a wheel, there is no torque and no angular acceleration.

ok, I think I was getting the linear acceleration and angular acceleration confused.

A spinning wheel will have centripetal and tangential acceleration, but it will not have angular acceleration b/c there is no change in angular velocity.

So not all spinning objects have angular acceleration or torque.

Correct, with the caveat that I wouldn't say "the wheel" has a centripetal acceleration - different points on the wheel will have different centripetal acceleration and a point at the center will have none.

Push on the center of mass of an object with a force, and you've applied torque. Doesn't sound as if it makes sense does it?

Torque is defined as a force acting about a point. You can choose any point you like. It doesn't have to be the center of mass. If the force is one pound, and the point of interest is one foot from the line of force, the torque is one foot-pound.

Take a wheel that is at rest and not spinning. If you push on the rim, it will both spin and obtain a translational velocity. If you don't want it to give it a velocity, you apply an equal and opposite force on the opposite side of the rim. This is called a Force Couple. It's the intuitive idea a lot of use have about what is torque, before we lean the weird definition.

localrob said:
A spinning wheel will have centripetal and tangential acceleration, but it will not have angular acceleration b/c there is no change in angular velocity.
You're almost right. No point of an object spinning with uniform angular velocity has tangential acceleration. Only if you apply a torque, does tangential acceleration arise.

sganesh88 said:
You're almost right. No point of an object spinning with uniform angular velocity has tangential acceleration. Only if you apply a torque, does tangential acceleration arise.

True, but you have to admit, it is confusing. Acceleration is the change in velocity over time, and tangential acceleration is the change in tangential velocity over time, but tangential velocity doesn't include direction like regular acceleration does. It's just speed.

So, many thanks to the jerk who decided against calling it tangential speed.

1. What is torque of a wheel in space?

Torque of a wheel in space is the measure of the force applied to rotate the wheel around its axis, which is perpendicular to the plane of rotation. It is commonly measured in Newton meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque of a wheel in space calculated?

The torque of a wheel in space is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the wheel by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. This can be represented by the equation: torque = force x distance.

3. Why is torque important in space?

Torque is important in space because it is the force that allows spacecraft and satellites to change their orientation or maintain a specific orientation. It is also essential for the proper functioning of robotic arms and other equipment used in space missions.

4. How does gravity affect torque of a wheel in space?

In space, gravity has less of an effect on torque compared to objects on Earth. This is because there is no friction or resistance in space, so the force needed to rotate a wheel is much smaller. However, gravity can still impact the torque, especially when objects are close to planets or other massive objects.

5. Can torque of a wheel in space be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative in space. This occurs when the direction of the force applied to the wheel is in the opposite direction of the rotation. Negative torque can result in the wheel rotating in the opposite direction or slowing down its rotation.