The best online English dictionary?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, the conversation discusses the credibility and cost of various online English dictionaries, specifically the Oxford English Dictionary and Cambridge Press. The speaker also mentions the age of Cambridge Press and the origins of some of the oldest universities. The conversation concludes with a recommendation for Merriam-Webster as the best option for American English.
waht
I need to quote and cite from an online English dictionary. There is so many, I'm looking for the most credible, or does it really matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
The OED is online. Can't get more credible than that. It is not, however, free. Or even cheap. It's $30/month in North America.

wow, for that price I'm sure it is, I'll check if the univ is subscribed.

I don't usually notice much difference in the definitions provided from one dictionary to the next. The usual difference I notice is just whether or not some words are included.

rootX said:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/about.asp

I didn't know Cambridge Press is that old (1584-present) http://www.cambridge.org/emea/.

Off topic but interesting that many of the oldest universities are from Middle East (i.e. before 1100s):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_universities_in_continuous_operation
It depends on if you want British English or American English. Oxford is great for British English, but Merriam-Webster would be the best for American English.

www.m-w.com

1. What features should I look for in the best online English dictionary?

The best online English dictionary should have a comprehensive database of words, accurate definitions, audio pronunciation, usage examples, and the ability to search for synonyms and antonyms.

2. Is it better to use a free or paid online English dictionary?

It depends on your needs and preferences. Free online dictionaries often have advertisements and may not have all the features of a paid one. However, paid dictionaries may have more advanced features and a larger database of words.

3. Can I trust the accuracy of an online English dictionary?

Most reputable online dictionaries have a team of lexicographers who ensure the accuracy of their definitions. However, it's always a good idea to cross-check with other reliable sources.

4. Are there any online English dictionaries that specialize in a certain dialect or variety of English?

Yes, there are online dictionaries that focus on British English, American English, or other dialects and varieties. It's important to choose one that aligns with your preferred form of English.

5. Can I use an online English dictionary as a learning tool?

Yes, many online dictionaries offer additional features such as word games, quizzes, and vocabulary-building tools. These can be helpful for improving your English skills.