Master degree in Electrical Engineering or MBA?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the benefits and potential career paths of pursuing a master's degree in either Electrical Engineering or an MBA. The individual seeking advice has a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering and is interested in specializing in medical imaging. The group advises that a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering with a specialization in medical imaging would be a good choice, and that an MBA would only be beneficial for those interested in management positions. The conversation also touches on the advantages of obtaining a master's degree, such as higher starting salaries and the ability to specialize and gain research experience in a specific field.
setareh79
Hello every body,

I really need advise!please help me?!:confused:

I am just graduated in biomedical engineering with bachelore degree, there is two field which i can get scholarship to study for master degree, which are Electrical Engineering and MBA.

in Electrical Engineering I can have my research in biomedical engineering!

please, advise me :
1. which is better to go for, that is good for future career?
2. each one of this two lead me to where?
2. some people said to me don't go for master degree, now its easier to get to career,is it really true?

thank you,
setareh

Physics news on Phys.org
setareh79 said:
Hello every body,

I really need advise!please help me?!:confused:

I am just graduated in biomedical engineering with bachelore degree, there is two field which i can get scholarship to study for master degree, which are Electrical Engineering and MBA.

in Electrical Engineering I can have my research in biomedical engineering!

please, advise me :
1. which is better to go for, that is good for future career?
2. each one of this two lead me to where?
2. some people said to me don't go for master degree, now its easier to get to career,is it really true?

thank you,
setareh

Welcome to the PF!

I'm guessing from your post that you are based in another part of the world, so that may change some of the advice you may get from those of us that are US-based PF'ers. What are your passions? Did you get the biomed degree because you have a passion for patient care and medical research? Or was it just a check box on the degree application? What career opportunities do you see in front of you?

Hello berkeman, and thanks for your reply!:smile:

I am in united arab emirates.I got my degree here and I am going to work in here!

But at the same time there is possibility for me to immigrate to US for next 5 to 6 years.
some people say that if you think you will immigrate to US better to go for master degree!But for the moment I am here and I don't know if it is advisable to think about possibilities!
honestly, there is no master degree in biomedical engineering in united arab emirates!
So when I finished the university I just wanted to work but I got a very nice offer for scholarship in :
Master of Science in,
1. Engineering Systems Management
2. Mechatronics Engineering
3. Chemical Engineering
4. Electrical Engineering(EE)
5. MBA
that if I could keep my GPA above 3, I can easily finish my master degree without any payment! This is why made me to think about master degree in reality.

as I said I can have my research in biomedical if I go for EE, if not wrong this is why I have choosed EE among other Engineering fields.

you have asked about my favour, I really like to have a career which deal with medical equipment specialy in medical imaging system, I enjoy to know about new feature and technology of medical euipment, and what I expect from my future career is to deal with medical equipment! I hope that I could answer all your question that you can advise me the way it should be which I really need it, please?! :confused:

Thank you,
Setareh

Last edited:
Sounds like an MSEE with a specialization in medical imaging would be a good choice. Congrats on the scholarship!

If you don't have ambitions to be a manager, an MBA would be completely pointless. I totally agree with berkeman here... you should get an MSEE specializing in medical imaging.

Thanks for your advices!

Please let me know in general that if it's good idea to do master degree? master degree lead me to where?

Thank you,
setareh

Hey TMFKAN64,

some people say that you should do MBA based on your work experience, and it doesn't make sense before gaining at lease 3 years experience for special career then based on that better to do MBA to enhance your position?!

How is it work?!

Thanks for your time,

setareh79 said:
Thanks for your advices!

Please let me know in general that if it's good idea to do master degree? master degree lead me to where?

Thank you,
setareh

It used to be that having an MSEE had an advantage in starting salary over a BSEE, but I honestly don't know if that's still true. You should be able to find some online salary survey information that will answer that question.

Some companies have masters degree requirements to hire you, so that can be a factor. Back when I was graduating with my BSEE, Bell Labs was only hiring MSEE and PhD folks, and that was another motivator for my continuing on to my MSEE.

The other reason really is to specialize, do some research, and gain some very valuable experience in a specialty that you enjoy. Like in your case with medical imaging, you will be a much more valuable candidate in interviews when you can show your MSEE research and project work in the field of imaging. Employers in specialized industries generally prefer to hire candidates with applicable experience, rather than hire a generally good engineer, and have to "train them on the job".

My two cents.

MBAs are for managers. If you don't want to manage, forget about it.

If you *do* want to manage... I think it's common to obtain some work experience before doing an MBA. I'm not sure if some programs don't insist upon this as a prerequisite.

Thank you all,o:)

berkeman said:
The other reason really is to specialize, do some research, and gain some very valuable experience in a specialty that you enjoy. Like in your case with medical imaging, you will be a much more valuable candidate in interviews when you can show your MSEE research and project work in the field of imaging. Employers in specialized industries generally prefer to hire candidates with applicable experience, rather than hire a generally good engineer, and have to "train them on the job".

My two cents.

Just wondering, but can't specialization be done on the job? Does one really require an Masters degree?

In my situation, I want to go into B.S. Computer Science, and hopefully get specialized in the industry if possible... only if it's possible. Thanks

Yes it can. It's generally easier to get a job if you have applicable experience in the specializations that are used in the job. But companies are still looking to hire bright folks who are willing to learn on-the-job.

Well... I mean get specialized w/o having to do a Masters of some sort...

I am think of doing both somehow and wonder if it's achievable. Since I like to get a MSEE but I don't want to work as first line worker all the time, it may be beneficial to step into management later. If I have condition like yours, I would do MSEE first and MBA later.

MBA Job

Are you looking for a new challenge in your career? Perhaps a better job or opportunity to use your MBA learning?
Do you wish you could find a quick and simple way of finding these jobs, without compromising your privacy?
Or are you relatively happy in your current job, but would like to stay informed of new MBA jobs and other opportunities as they arise?

MBA Jobhttp://www.mbamatch.com

1. What is the difference between a Master degree in Electrical Engineering and an MBA?

A Master degree in Electrical Engineering focuses on technical skills and knowledge in the field of electrical engineering, while an MBA focuses on business management and leadership skills.

2. Which degree would be more beneficial for my career?

This depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in pursuing a career in the technical field of electrical engineering, a Master degree would be more beneficial. If you are interested in pursuing a career in business management, an MBA would be a better choice.

3. Can I pursue both degrees simultaneously?

It is possible to pursue a dual degree program that combines both an MBA and a Master degree in Electrical Engineering. However, this is a rigorous and time-intensive option, and it may not be feasible for everyone.

4. What are the job opportunities for graduates with a Master degree in Electrical Engineering vs. an MBA?

Graduates with a Master degree in Electrical Engineering can work in various industries such as power generation, electronics, telecommunications, and renewable energy. Graduates with an MBA can work in business management roles in various industries such as finance, marketing, operations, and consulting.

5. How long does it take to complete a Master degree in Electrical Engineering vs. an MBA?

A Master degree in Electrical Engineering typically takes 2-3 years to complete, while an MBA can be completed in 1-2 years. The duration may vary depending on the program and whether it is pursued full-time or part-time.