Valentine's Day Plans: Who's Sending Gifts and Who's Just Hanging Out?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Valentine's Day and the expectations and costs associated with it. One person mentions that a smart man breaks up before Valentine's Day to avoid buying a gift, while another person shares their plans for the holiday. The origin of Valentine's Day and its connection to birds pairing up is also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to discussing the high cost of flowers and the expectations for married men on Valentine's Day. The conversation ends with someone reflecting on past relationships and the current marital status of their former partners.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Do you have any plans? I don't. I'm not expecting to get anything either. The only person that's ever sent me a Valentine's gift was zooby and they were wonderful. :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
A smart man breaks up the week before Valentine's Day so he doesn't have to buy a Valentine's Day gift. Do you know how much flowers cost nowadays?!

Oh, well, March 14th is only a month away.

(Okay, I'll admit it. In spite of my bad attitude, I actually do have plans for Valentine's Day. I just feel like a sucker for supporting a holiday that was probably invented by Hallmark and FTD. Who the heck is St. Valentine, anyway?!)

BobG said:
A smart man breaks up the week before Valentine's Day so he doesn't have to buy a Valentine's Day gift. Do you know how much flowers cost nowadays?!

(Okay, I'll admit it. In spite of my bad attitude, I actually do have plans for Valentine's Day. I just feel like a sucker for supporting a holiday that was probably invented by Hallmark and FTD. Who the heck is St. Valentine, anyway?!)
Oooh, is this a new romance?

Evo said:
Oooh, is this a new romance?

Naw, she's about the same age as me.

BobG said:
Naw, she's about the same age as me.
:tongue2:

Haha, nope. Like yourself, I'm not expecting anything either...worse when the one person in a long time I've tried to establish a relationship with completely and utterly disregards my existence, even when i go all out with flowers and the works :/

It's also Chinese New Year. Not only do I have to buy chocolates, but also I have to give out red envelopes (with money in them). This is the year of the Tiger, and I am a tiger. I guess that, along with the clues in the Memories of Childhood thread, fixes my age.

Nothing special other than staying all day in the library preparing for my exams :shy:

rootX said:
Nothing special other than staying all day in the library preparing for my exams :shy:

Until you got a tap on the shoulder from the hot young librarian, where she tells you to "stop being so loud; it is a library." You respond with "but I am not being noisy." Now she grins and whispers "oh we will..." :tongue:

I really meant to send out "little kid valentine cards" this year but I lost track of time. I found some cool Barbie ones.

Pinu7 said:
Until you got a tap on the shoulder from the hot young librarian, where she tells you to "stop being so loud; it is a library." You respond with "but I am not being noisy." Now she grins and whispers "oh we will..." :tongue:

There is nothing like "a hot young librarian". It does not exist but maybe in movies ... :(

I love librarians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB4HvVEMFig

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I celebrated yesterday. I made spicy marinated-grilled jumbo shrimp, she made some German sugar cookies (grossmutters) filled with lemon curd for us and the neighbors, and we made some crunchy whole-wheat peanut butter cookies (natural peanut butter with no sugar or salt) for Duke and his doggie-buddies Max and Roadie.

We're just about to go out for our usual Sunday brunch of bagels, doughnuts, coffee (wife), and tea (me). For supper, we'll go out somewhere, probably some place not too busy.

BobG said:
Do you know how much flowers cost nowadays?!

$42 for a dozen red roses.

$9 for the champagne truffles. [little tiny truffles, but good!]

Last edited:
BobG said:

Legend has it that St. Valentine was a Catholic priest - later cannonized a saint - who ignored an order to stop all marriages; married young couples in secret; was discovered, and later executed, on Feb 14th. The young lovers whom he had married brought him red roses while he was awaiting his fate. His letters home from prison were signed, "from your Valentine".

It could also be related to "the day" that birds pair up.

Last edited:
BobG said:

:rofl:

Any suggestion for married men?

Ivan Seeking said:
It could also be related to "the day" that birds pair up.

Oh thanks! I didn't know this part!:wink:

BobG said:

Huh, and what's with birthdays and Christmas? :biggrin:

We're just hanging out.

Funny - I happened to come across the name of girl I dated 35 years ago.

It seems many or most of the girls I knew or dated in the past never married or are divorced. :frown:

Last edited:

1. What is Valentine's Day?

Valentine's Day is a holiday celebrated on February 14th every year. It is a day to show love and affection to significant others, family, and friends.

2. Why is Valentine's Day on a Sunday this year?

Valentine's Day falls on a different day of the week each year because it is always celebrated on February 14th. In 2021, February 14th happens to fall on a Sunday.

3. How did Valentine's Day originate?

Valentine's Day can be traced back to ancient Roman times. It was originally a holiday called Lupercalia, which celebrated fertility and the coming of spring. Over time, it evolved into a day to celebrate love and romance.

4. What are some traditional ways to celebrate Valentine's Day?

Common traditions include giving gifts such as flowers, chocolates, and cards to loved ones, going out to dinner, or spending quality time together. Some people also choose to celebrate by doing acts of kindness or showing appreciation for friends and family.

5. Is Valentine's Day celebrated worldwide?

Yes, Valentine's Day is celebrated in many countries around the world, although some countries may have different customs and traditions to mark the holiday. It is a popular holiday in North America, Europe, and parts of Asia and South America.