How to arrive at answer for integration question

• Thread starter Alexenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the antiderivative of the acceleration of a stone thrown into the air at 20m/s and constantly accelerated downwards by gravity at 10m/s2. The correct antiderivative is v = -10t + c, which can be found by solving for \int 10\ dt.
Alexenn
Firstly, I am sorry if this is the wrong section (I really didn't know what each section meant, but I posted here since I am beginner)

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown up into the air at 20m/s is accelerated constantly downwards by gravity at about 10m/s2

Find the anti derivative of the acceleration

Note: I am not solving for C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The antiderivative of 20m/s is 10m/s2
and the antiderivate of -10m/s is -5m/s2

Neither of those match up to the answer, so I'm not sure how to arrive at the answer.

The answer in the book is v= -10t + c

Thankyou

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have [itex] a = 10[/itex] then you need to find [itex]\int 10\ dt [/itex]. There's no need to include units in your integral.

Ah, thank you very much. Can finally get on with work! =)

JHamm said:
If you have [itex] a = 10[/itex] then you need to find [itex]\int 10\ dt [/itex]. There's no need to include units in your integral.
That should be [itex] a = -10[/itex]. Of course, the units are m/s2 .

for your question. As a scientist, my approach to solving this problem would be to use the fundamental principles of calculus. In this case, we are looking for the anti-derivative of the acceleration, which represents the velocity of the stone at any given time. The formula for acceleration is a=dv/dt, where v is the velocity and t is the time. This means that the anti-derivative of the acceleration is the velocity itself.

To find the anti-derivative, we need to integrate the acceleration function with respect to time. In this case, we have a constant acceleration of -10m/s2, which means that the velocity is changing at a constant rate. This can be represented by the equation v= -10t + c, where c is the constant of integration.

To arrive at this answer, we simply need to integrate the acceleration function with respect to time. This can be done by using the power rule of integration, which states that the integral of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1). In this case, the integral of -10 is -10t, and since we are not solving for c, we can leave it as +c.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding how to arrive at the answer for this integration question. It is important to understand the fundamental principles of calculus and how to apply them in solving problems. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and you will become more confident in solving these types of problems. Good luck!

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and other real-world applications.

2. What are the different methods for arriving at an answer for an integration question?

There are several methods for solving integration problems, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Each method has its own advantages and is used depending on the complexity of the problem.

3. How can I check if my answer for an integration question is correct?

You can check your answer by differentiating it and seeing if the result matches the original function. Another method is to use an online integration calculator or a graphing calculator to graph the original function and the antiderivative to see if they match.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integration questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not being familiar with the basic rules of integration. It is important to double-check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integration questions?

The best way to improve your skills in integration is to practice regularly and try different methods for solving problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources to learn new techniques and get a better understanding of the concept.