2012 Physics and Astronomy REU Programs

In summary: LIGO?Did anyone apply/heard back to/from the Columbia Nevis...they are having a summer symposium on LIGO?
Stengah
I'd like to make a thread for those who are applying to REU programs in physics and the like this summer.

Please post where you have applied, what your research interests are, and post when you hear from specific programs to help others make their decisions.

Also feel free to discuss any specific projects and schools etc, so we can all help each other out.

Physics news on Phys.org
As for me, I've applied to a variety of physics and some astrophysics programs. I'm really hoping for something in nuclear, biophysics or optics, although I'll be happy with anything.

I've applied to or am applying to:

Purdue
Idaho State
Bucknell
Montana State
UC Davis
University of Wyoming
University of Oregon
Kansas State
University of Idaho

For all my applications I've put down an emphasis on high energy theory or analysis coming out of the LHC. Also said I was interested in CMT.

Minnestoa
Purdue
Indiana
Michigan state
UM-CERN
Columbia
Rochester
UCD
Perimeter
SULI
Texas A&M
UIUC
Colorado

I applied to:

Kitt Peak Observatory
Northern Arizona
Notre Dame
LSU
BYU
Colorado
Texas A&M
UCDavis
Washington
Rochester
CERN-UM Already denied. They said they had over 250 applicants.
Cornell
PPPL
Michigan State

Trying for HEP or astronomy. I'm only a sophomore, so I don't expect much. However, hopefully, I'll at least get into a couple.

ktb said:
CERN-UM Already denied. They said they had over 250 applicants.

Ah that's too bad. Probably one of the most difficult programs to get into.

Has anyone else heard back from any programs?

I went to Michigan State last summer (between sophomore and junior year). Applying to more nuclear physics and some nuclear physics for this summer:

University of Washington
Notre Dame
Indiana
UC Davis
Cornell
Old Dominion

Last edited:
I'm applying to:
SURF (LIGO)
Cornell
UC Boulder
UC Davis
Teng
UCLA
Stony Brook
Columbia
Purdue
Michigan State (maybe)
Experimental and Theoretical HEP, mostly.

Stengah said:
Ah that's too bad. Probably one of the most difficult programs to get into.

Has anyone else heard back from any programs?

Is 250 a lot of applicants then?

It would be nice if we had some data on application numbers.

Yeah I think it's up there. For my school's astronomy program, we had 130 applicants, and the professor who runs it said that was about average. Maybe it's a little more for physics though. And I would assume that if someone got an offer from cern, they would accept it over most other programs, so UM doesn't need to give out too many offers before they are full.

Stengah said:
Yeah I think it's up there. For my school's astronomy program, we had 130 applicants, and the professor who runs it said that was about average. Maybe it's a little more for physics though. And I would assume that if someone got an offer from cern, they would accept it over most other programs, so UM doesn't need to give out too many offers before they are full.

I kind of want to email around for some more data on the size of applicant pools, but I'm not sure how far I would get.

Hear back from anywhere yet?

Elwin.Martin said:
Hear back from anywhere yet?

I haven't heard back from anywhere. Most of my deadlines just passed in the last 5 days, so hopefully it will be somewhat soon. The wait is killing me.

I heard back from Minnesota, got into a theory/computational project there. Their deadline was very early, January 15th. Most of mine have been due this week, with same the last week in february or the first week in march. Its kind of annoying how they stagger the deadlines...

LBloom said:
I heard back from Minnesota, got into a theory/computational project there. Their deadline was very early, January 15th. Most of mine have been due this week, with same the last week in february or the first week in march. Its kind of annoying how they stagger the deadlines...

Congrats! Will you be accepting the offer?

Congrats! Will you be accepting the offer?

Good question! I've been thinking about it myself. I've tentatively accepted. They want to hear back by the 20th, which is hopefully when I'll hear back from some other schools so I can make a proper decision. Once again, it would be so much easier if we heard back from the schools around the same time.

Anyone know if schools typically call or email when offering acceptances? Or regular old mail?

Anyone know if schools typically call or email when offering acceptances? Or regular old mail?

Although some schools may mail out acceptances, its typically done by email. The only reason anyone would call is for an interview, and I don't think those are ever usually done.

Old Dominion does phone interviews.

Did anyone apply/heard back to/from the Columbia Nevis one?

Did anyone apply/heard back to/from the Columbia Nevis one?
\

Yes to the applied, no about hearing back. The only people hearing back will be those that got in. When the positions are full they're going to post it on the webpage. Columbia was my top choice and some of my offers expire beginning of next week, so I might send an email inquiring about my position and/or the timeline for hearing back this week.

Let me know what they say please ;).

Well I emailed nevis labs asking about when they expect to be sending out acceptances. I mentioned how I had other offers (which is why I was asking because I didn't want to accept anything before finding out about columbia). All he said was that they had ~300 applicants for <10 spots so if I had other offers I should accept those. Right now it comes down to particle theory at Indianaor particle experiment at Fermilab. I want to do graduate school in particle theory but I'm torn.

Anyway I'm still waiting on Texas, UCD, UIUC, Rochester, Michigan state, Purdue and Perimeter. If anyone hears back from them feel free to let me know...

Oh wow. I thought they had 11 spots like they said on the www. But anyway. Thanks for letting me know and good luck!

I applied to

UChicago
USeattle Washington
UC Davis
UC LA
UNLV
Colorado Sate
Duke/TUNL
Kansas State (after deadline)
Notre Dame (after deadline)

Also applied to the Lee Teng internship at Fermi and a research assistant at Argonne.

Haven't heard back from anything, so I'm a bit worried :/ I feel like maybe I should have applied to a few more.

LBloom said:
\

Yes to the applied, no about hearing back. The only people hearing back will be those that got in. When the positions are full they're going to post it on the webpage. Columbia was my top choice and some of my offers expire beginning of next week, so I might send an email inquiring about my position and/or the timeline for hearing back this week.

I applied to the Columbia Nevis REU last year and got a phone interview but didn't get the job. The interviewer said it was down to me and one other person, who I can only assume was a better interviewee than I. Just letting you know there may be an interview involved.

Best of luck!

d3nat said:
I applied to

UChicago
USeattle Washington
UC Davis
UC LA
UNLV
Colorado Sate
Duke/TUNL
Kansas State (after deadline)
Notre Dame (after deadline)

Also applied to the Lee Teng internship at Fermi and a research assistant at Argonne.

Haven't heard back from anything, so I'm a bit worried :/ I feel like maybe I should have applied to a few more.

You might not hear anything until around the end of March. Some places will still be handing out acceptances in April. No need to be worried yet.

Stengah said:
You might not hear anything until around the end of March. Some places will still be handing out acceptances in April. No need to be worried yet.

Really? Okay. I heard that if you didn't start hearing anything during the last week of February/first week of March, you probably didn't get a spot. Maybe I should tone down the panic :wink:

I_wonder_why said:
I applied to the Columbia Nevis REU last year and got a phone interview but didn't get the job. The interviewer said it was down to me and one other person, who I can only assume was a better interviewee than I. Just letting you know there may be an interview involved.

Best of luck!

Hey! Around what date did you hear back from them?

Just got a call from Idaho State, they've accepted me for their nuclear physics program! I have to tell them by Friday. Probably going to accept, it was one of my top choices.

Also the director of my school's astronomy REU told me that all astronomy REUs make their first offers March 1st, so that everything is synchronized. Not sure if that is widely known.

Stengah said:
Just got a call from Idaho State, they've accepted me for their nuclear physics program! I have to tell them by Friday. Probably going to accept, it was one of my top choices.

Congrats to you! I was hoping to get one there, but doesn't look like it (not really surprised haha). So enjoy it for me as well ;)

PhysicsGente said:
Hey! Around what date did you hear back from them?

I was contacted March 1st 2011.

I applied to

UC Davis
UCLA
Notre Dame
Lehigh
William and Mary
UF
CU Boulder

I applied to all of them seeking something in the condensed matter experimental research area. I just got an email today stating my acceptance to William and Mary, so I am pretty stoked about that! I am going to wait it out a bit more, I have a week to decide, so that hopefully one of the UC schools or Colorado accept me since those were my top picks. They also sent a hard copy of the letter to my house. Good luck to those of you who have applied. Anyone apply to and received an acceptance from William and Mary?

Joe

I'll assume I didn't make it since it seems most places send out decisions on March 1. :(

PhysicsGente said:
I'll assume I didn't make it since it seems most places send out decisions on March 1. :(

That doesn't mean you haven't made it. Many places have to take until the end of March or early April to fill up, because some of the first round applicants reject offers. Don't lose hope yet!

Agent M27 said:
I applied to all of them seeking something in the condensed matter experimental research area. I just got an email today stating my acceptance to William and Mary, so I am pretty stoked about that! I am going to wait it out a bit more, I have a week to decide, so that hopefully one of the UC schools or Colorado accept me since those were my top picks. They also sent a hard copy of the letter to my house. Good luck to those of you who have applied. Anyone apply to and received an acceptance from William and Mary?

Congrats! I didn't apply to W&M but I hear good things about the school. Definitely not a bad place to be if you don't get those UC schools or Colorado.

<h2>1. What is an REU program?</h2><p>An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that allows undergraduate students to participate in hands-on research projects in the fields of physics and astronomy. These programs are typically 10-12 weeks long and provide students with valuable research experience and exposure to cutting-edge scientific research.</p><h2>2. What are the benefits of participating in a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program?</h2><p>Participating in a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program can provide numerous benefits, including gaining hands-on research experience, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, networking with professionals in the field, and potentially having the opportunity to present research at conferences or publish papers.</p><h2>3. How can I apply for a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program?</h2><p>To apply for a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program, you will need to visit the NSF's website and search for programs that align with your research interests. Each program will have its own application process, but typically, you will need to submit a resume, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement outlining your research interests and goals.</p><h2>4. What are the eligibility requirements for a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program?</h2><p>The eligibility requirements for a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program may vary depending on the specific program, but in general, you must be an undergraduate student in good academic standing and have a strong interest in pursuing a career in physics or astronomy. Some programs may also have specific GPA requirements or prerequisites in certain courses.</p><h2>5. Are there any financial considerations for participating in a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program?</h2><p>Most 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU programs provide students with a stipend to cover living expenses during the program. In some cases, travel expenses may also be covered. However, it is important to note that these programs are highly competitive, and not all students will receive funding. It is recommended to also explore other sources of funding, such as grants or scholarships, to cover any additional expenses.</p>

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that allows undergraduate students to participate in hands-on research projects in the fields of physics and astronomy. These programs are typically 10-12 weeks long and provide students with valuable research experience and exposure to cutting-edge scientific research.

2. What are the benefits of participating in a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program?

Participating in a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program can provide numerous benefits, including gaining hands-on research experience, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, networking with professionals in the field, and potentially having the opportunity to present research at conferences or publish papers.

3. How can I apply for a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program?

To apply for a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program, you will need to visit the NSF's website and search for programs that align with your research interests. Each program will have its own application process, but typically, you will need to submit a resume, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement outlining your research interests and goals.

4. What are the eligibility requirements for a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program?

The eligibility requirements for a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program may vary depending on the specific program, but in general, you must be an undergraduate student in good academic standing and have a strong interest in pursuing a career in physics or astronomy. Some programs may also have specific GPA requirements or prerequisites in certain courses.

5. Are there any financial considerations for participating in a 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU program?

Most 2012 Physics and Astronomy REU programs provide students with a stipend to cover living expenses during the program. In some cases, travel expenses may also be covered. However, it is important to note that these programs are highly competitive, and not all students will receive funding. It is recommended to also explore other sources of funding, such as grants or scholarships, to cover any additional expenses.