Solubility of alkanols in water

In summary: Higher branched alkanols have more electron donating groups and are therefore more soluble.Higher branched alkanols have more electron donating groups and are therefore more soluble.
ioioio7777
Is propan-1-ol more soluble than propan-2-ol in water?
Propan-2-ol has 2 alkyl group, which is electron donating.
Since the formation of H-bonding is due to the elecrionegativity difference of O atom and H atom is the hydroxl group. I think think that the O atom in propan-2-ol can gain electrons from two alkyl groups while propan-1-ol can gain electrons from one alkyl group only and thus the ability of propan-1-ol to form H-bonding is greater than that of propan-2-ol.

Sorry for my poor English and thanks a lot

Chemistry news on Phys.org
But another factor is accessibility to water which is less for propan-2-ol, so that factor is in the opposite direction. Around hydrophobic (-CH3) groups water takes up a more structured form, more like ice and less able to form the H-bonds.

Which effect is more important? My sense is that solvent effects are always more important. I can't justify this sense so let's wait see if anyone who knows what he's talking about happens along.

But these are sorts of things you have to think about or find out about. Not enough to be looking at just one molecule but have a sense of the solution. Or rather, the solution versus the separate bulk liquids. Not easy.

Last edited:
Both of those propanols are soluble in water in all proportions.

chemisttree said:
Both of those propanols are soluble in water in all proportions.

Now I remember. :biggrin:

However there would be some number of carbon atoms and some temperature at which the question would arise?

Probably better to talk about pentanols or 5-carbon alcohols. There are definite trends. More highly branched alkanols are more soluble than the extended chain isomers.

chemisttree said:
Probably better to talk about pentanols or 5-carbon alcohols. There are definite trends. More highly branched alkanols are more soluble than the extended chain isomers.

I said it was not easy. :biggrin:

Can you say why that tendency is?

What is the solubility of alkanols in water?

The solubility of alkanols in water refers to the maximum amount of alkanols that can dissolve in a certain amount of water at a given temperature and pressure.

How does the molecular structure of alkanols affect their solubility in water?

The solubility of alkanols in water depends on the length of their carbon chain and the presence of functional groups. Generally, shorter chain alkanols (such as methanol and ethanol) are more soluble in water due to their ability to form hydrogen bonds with water molecules. Alkanols with polar functional groups, such as hydroxyl (-OH) groups, are also more soluble in water.

What factors affect the solubility of alkanols in water?

The solubility of alkanols in water can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the solubility of alkanols in water, while the presence of other solutes (such as salts) can decrease their solubility.

What is the relationship between the solubility of alkanols in water and their boiling points?

Generally, alkanols with higher solubility in water also have higher boiling points. This is because the strength of intermolecular forces (such as hydrogen bonding) between alkanol molecules increases with increasing solubility and boiling point.

How is the solubility of alkanols in water important in practical applications?

The solubility of alkanols in water is important in various industries, such as in the production of alcoholic beverages and in pharmaceutical formulations. It also plays a role in environmental processes, such as the transport and fate of alkanols in aquatic systems.