What Determines Weather Patterns on Earth?

• Thread starter TheAzn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geography
In summary, the professor said that land formation is more important than latitude and the tilt of the Earth's axis when it comes to controlling weather.
TheAzn
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I just needed to make sure about something.

Besides latitude and the tilt of the the Earth's axis, the other main determiner of weather would have been land formation, correct?

Just to get it out there, the reason why I believe that land formation is the controller of weather is because:
1. The continents determine how large the oceans/seas can be.
2. Air currents are partially controlled by mountains.
3. Ocean currents are controlled by the continents and the sea floor terrain.

Is this the correct list of the Main (natural) things that control weather for a long period of time, assuming that order counts?
Most Important:
1. Latitude
2. Tilt of the Earth's Axis
3. Land Formation

Less important:
4. Distance From the Sun
5. Super Volcanoes/ other "large scale" natural disasters
6. Volcanoes/Forest Fire/ other "small scale" natural disasters

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It has been hypothezed that the Rocky Mountains are responsible for the balmy winters of western Europe, relatively to the east part of North America on the same lattitude.

So things may be more complex than it seems. See also jet stream and Rossby wave.

Andre said:
It has been hypothezed that the Rocky Mountains are responsible for the balmy winters of western Europe, relatively to the east part of North America on the same lattitude.

That's amazing!

So things may be more complex than it seems. See also jet stream and Rossby wave.

Hmmm, I guess I was too hasty in my assumptions.

Are you talking weather, or climate, or both? If you include climate then you need to promote distance from the sun to first place.

Ophiolite said:
Are you talking weather, or climate, or both?
I guess it is both.

If you include climate then you need to promote distance from the sun to first place.
My Geography professor told me that latitude and the tilt of the Earth's axis matters more, though. The reason that she gave was that the Earth's orbital path is pretty much a circle; she said that the Earth's orbit is indeed elliptical but the elliptical orbit shown in some diagram of Earth are exaggerated.

School related work needs to be posted in the appropriate Homework section.

What is geography?

Geography is the study of the Earth's physical features, such as landforms, bodies of water, and climate, as well as human activity and its impact on the environment.

What are the five themes of geography?

The five themes of geography are location, place, human-environment interaction, movement, and region. These themes help geographers organize and understand the complex relationships between people and their surroundings.

What is the difference between physical and human geography?

Physical geography focuses on the natural features and processes of the Earth, such as landforms, climate, and ecosystems. Human geography, on the other hand, examines the relationship between people and the environment, including population, culture, and economic activities.

What is the significance of studying geography?

Geography is an important field of study because it helps us understand the world around us and how it is constantly changing. It also allows us to make informed decisions about how to manage and protect our natural resources, as well as understand the impacts of human activities on the environment.

How does geography impact our daily lives?

Geography plays a role in almost every aspect of our daily lives, from the weather we experience to the food we eat. It also influences our culture, economy, and transportation systems. Studying geography helps us better understand and appreciate our place in the world.