Polariton, polaron, plasmon and spaser

• Thread starter ebol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasmon
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of spasers, specifically the theoretical aspects needed to understand their functioning. The speaker mentions their research on articles about spasers and plasmons, but is struggling to connect different parts of their knowledge and is unsure of what specific concepts they need to focus on. They ask for recommendations for further reading and express gratitude for any help.
ebol
Hello everyone!
I would like to ask you for help on this:
1. what are the differences between polariton, polaron and plasmon?
2. such as theoretical aspects I have to know to understand the functioning of a spaser?

(spaser=surface plasmon amplification by stimulated emission of radiation)

thanks for the help!

p.s.
if you have any books, articles or links to advise me, you would help me twice. :smile:
see you soon!

Physics news on Phys.org
ebol said:
Hello everyone!
I would like to ask you for help on this:
1. what are the differences between polariton, polaron and plasmon?
2. such as theoretical aspects I have to know to understand the functioning of a spaser?

(spaser=surface plasmon amplification by stimulated emission of radiation)

thanks for the help!

p.s.
if you have any books, articles or links to advise me, you would help me twice. :smile:
see you soon!

Have you tried using Google to get some initial information on those terms? It would help if you could do some initial reading on your own first, and then ask specific questions about that reading here afterwards...

Hi!
I read several articles about the spaser, including
Bergman D.J. et al., 2003
Stockman M.I., 2008
Oulton R.F. et al., 2009

I read several articles about the plasmons, including
Barnes W.L. et al., 2003
Stockman M.I., 2011

Also, I have the basics of physics ... but I can not seem to connect the different parts of what I already know. I do not have a vision of the whole:
For example, I have to study the Drude model? or Raman scattering? etc.
I do not have a clear idea of ​​what I need from all that I have studied :/

1. What is a polariton?

A polariton is a quasiparticle that results from the strong coupling between an electromagnetic field and an excitation in a material, typically an exciton or a phonon.

2. What is a polaron?

A polaron is a quasiparticle that forms when an electron interacts with its surrounding lattice, causing the electron to distort the lattice and become self-trapped.

3. What is a plasmon?

A plasmon is a quasiparticle that arises from the collective oscillation of electrons in a metal or semiconductor material in response to an external electromagnetic field.

4. What is a spaser?

A spaser, short for "surface plasmon amplification by stimulated emission of radiation," is a type of nanoscale laser that uses surface plasmons to amplify and emit light.

5. How are polaritons, polarons, plasmons, and spasers related?

All four of these quasiparticles involve the interaction between electromagnetic fields and excitations in a material, but they have different mechanisms and applications. Polaritons and plasmons are collective excitations in a material, while polarons and spasers involve the interaction of individual particles with the material. Additionally, spasers are a type of plasmon-based laser, while polaritons and polarons have more diverse applications in fields such as optics, electronics, and energy.