What is the difference between Var(X) and Cov(X,X)?

• Thread starter Rasalhague
  • Start date
In summary, the Covariance operator is used to calculate the mean of the product of two random variables.
Rasalhague
Var(X) = Cov(X,X) ??

[tex]Var(X)=\sum_{i=1}^N P(X_i)(X_i-EX)^2.[/tex]

[tex]Cov(X,Y) = \sum_{i=1}^N\sum_{j=1}^M P(X_i,Y_j)(X_i - EX)(Y_j - EY).[/tex]

If, for instance, [itex]P(X_i) = 1/N[/itex] and [itex]X = Y = (1,2,3)[/itex], then

[tex]Var(X) = \frac{1}{3} ((1-2)^2 + (2-2)^2 + (3-2)^2) = \frac{2}{3},[/tex]

but

[tex]Cov(X,X) = \sum_{i=1}^3 \sum_{j=1}^3 \frac{1}{9} (X_i - EX)(X_j - EX)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{9}((1-2)^2+(3-2)^2+2(1-2)(3-2)) = 2 - 2 = 0??[/tex]

There are 9 values of (X,Y); each occurs with equal probability. I've omitted the terms that contain (2-2) from the summation. Apparently I've misunderstood something about the definition of covariance, but what?

Physics news on Phys.org

Rasalhague said:
[tex]Var(X)=\sum_{i=1}^N P(X_i)(X_i-EX)^2.[/tex]

[tex]Cov(X,Y) = \sum_{i=1}^N\sum_{j=1}^M P(X_i,Y_j)(X_i - EX)(Y_j - EY).[/tex]

This formula is wrong.

Here is how you calculate it. By definition, the covariance is

[tex]Cov(X,X)=E[ (X-EX)(X-EX) ][/tex]

So define the random variable [itex]Z=(X-EX)(X-EX)=(X-2)^2[/itex]. The covariance is EZ. Now, if X takes on the values 1,2 and 3. Then Z takes on the values 0,1. Furthermore [itex]P\{Z=0\}=P\{X=2\}=1/3[/itex] and [itex]P\{Z=1\}=P(\{X=1\}\cup \{X=3\}) = 2/3[/itex].

Thus

[tex]Cov(X,X)=EZ = \sum_{k=0}^1 k P\{Z=k\} = 2/3[/tex]

Hey Rasalhague.

I don't know what you did, but Ill use the expanded form of covariance in your definition.

Cov(X,X)
= E[(X - E[X])(X - E[X])]
= E[X^2] - E[X]^2.

You are not applying the expectation operator correctly since you are need to apply the definition of the expectation to the whole definition (i.e (X-E[X])(X-E[X) and this means taking into account shifts by the mean.

If you expand the Covariance operator you get:

Cov(X,Y) = E[XY] - E[X]E[Y] and this is done using some simple algebra which leaves us with

Cov(X,X) = E[X^2] - E[X]^2 which is the same as the variance.

You are not calculating the variance or covariance but something that I have absolutely no idea with.

The formula defines covariance for discrete variables in Simon & Blume (1994): Mathematics for Economists, end of section A5.4, and in Robert J. Serfling's online intro 'Covariance and Correlation', formula (1) which he identifies with E[(X-EX)(Y-EY)P(X,Y)] in the formula which follows that. Serfling also states that P(X,Y) means

[tex]P_X(X)\cdot P_Y(Y)[/tex]

which in my example makes P(X,X) = (1/3)(1/3) = 1/9. Perhaps you could explain how you would calculate an example where [itex]X \neq Y[/itex], e.g. X = (1, 2, 3) and Y = (1, 4, 9).

I'm not sure how to reconcile Serfling's formula (1) with the way Wolfram Mathworld writes it out explicitly for the case where N = M:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Covariance.html

Are there two somewhat different concepts each called covariance, each corresponding to its own way of defining the mean of the product of two random variables?

Ah, reading further on that Mathworld article, it seems one definition concerns real-valued random variables from a finite sample space, another definition concerns tuples of such random variables. But still, there appear to be a variety of concepts here to which the name covariance is attached, with disagreement over certain points, and Mathworld doesn't give an explicit version of the more general definition.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "Var(X)"?

Var(X) is the symbol used to represent the variance of a random variable X. It is a measure of how far the values of X are spread out from the average value.

2. How is Var(X) calculated?

The variance of a random variable X can be calculated by taking the average of the squared difference between each value of X and the mean value of X. It is often denoted as Var(X) = E[(X - E[X])^2].

3. What does Var(X)=Cov(X,X) mean?

The equation Var(X)=Cov(X,X) means that the variance of a random variable X is equal to the covariance of X with itself. This is because the covariance of a variable with itself is essentially the same as the variance of that variable.

4. How does understanding Var(X)=Cov(X,X) benefit a scientist?

Understanding Var(X)=Cov(X,X) allows a scientist to better understand the relationship between the variance and covariance of a random variable. This knowledge is important for statistical analysis and can help in making accurate predictions and drawing meaningful conclusions from data.

5. Can Var(X)=Cov(X,X) be used for non-random variables?

No, Var(X)=Cov(X,X) is only applicable for random variables. For non-random variables, the concept of variance and covariance does not apply as there is no randomness involved in their values.