What type of gel is best for a lightweight bulletproof armor?

• Thread starter KyleSpence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    viscous
In summary, a non-reactive viscous gel that is light weight and can be poured into a fabric to form a protective layer is needed. Jell-O is an option, but other materials may be more suitable.
KyleSpence
Hey guys I'm putting together a lightweight bulletproof armour and need a non reactive viscous gel to be placed in it.
It cannot be flammable as hot shards of metal will be in contact with it and it needs to be relatively viscous to keep some loose parts from moving around to much.
Can anybody help me out with what material would be suitable?
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This might sound facetious, but... Jell-O? It's more than just a dessert.
Actually, I wouldn't waste money on the flavoured brand-name stuff; just regular Knox gelatin that you get in the grocery store. Depending upon your mix ratio, it can turn out like water or like tire rubber or anything in between. The intermediate stages are used fairly often, by me and also professional make-up artists, in place of latex for prosthetic make-up effects such as long noses, pointed ears, scar tissue... The forms that are denser than the edible type last for a ridiculously long time (months, in some cases). One advantage is that you can pour it into your fabric matrix as a liquid while it's hot, and then it will dry to a solid after it's soaked in.

edit: I didn't mean to imply that the stuff will disintegrate or rot or something after a few months, which would make it unsuitable for you; it just tends to get torn or eaten by cats if left lying around. I think that being confined to a matrix such as your fabric would keep it intact for years.

Last edited:
The edit function for my previous post has expired, so I have to add this here. A couple of examples of "stiff" gelatin are Gummy Worms and Gummy Bears candies. If you've ever eaten one, you know how tough they are.

Danger said:
This might sound facetious, but... Jell-O? It's more than just a dessert.
Actually, I wouldn't waste money on the flavoured brand-name stuff; just regular Knox gelatin that you get in the grocery store. Depending upon your mix ratio, it can turn out like water or like tire rubber or anything in between. The intermediate stages are used fairly often, by me and also professional make-up artists, in place of latex for prosthetic make-up effects such as long noses, pointed ears, scar tissue... The forms that are denser than the edible type last for a ridiculously long time (months, in some cases). One advantage is that you can pour it into your fabric matrix as a liquid while it's hot, and then it will dry to a solid after it's soaked in.

edit: I didn't mean to imply that the stuff will disintegrate or rot or something after a few months, which would make it unsuitable for you; it just tends to get torn or eaten by cats if left lying around. I think that being confined to a matrix such as your fabric would keep it intact for years.

Thats not a bad idea, on my first prototype I used liquid hand soap, I am still looking but the consistency of jelly (as us Scots call it) could be varied so that I could use it as a testing material in which to find the correct consistency needed when searching for the final material I will use. Thanks and keep it up :)

KyleSpence said:
(as us Scots call it)
That's we Scots, bairn. (Or in some cases wee Scots.) While I'm proud to be a Canuk, I'm even more so to be a Bruce. :wink:

But for sure I'll keep an eye out for ye.

Corn Starch or something similar. You want something that will be high resistant to penetration. It has the properties that when exposed to extreme force it hardens into a concrete like substance. As in you can run on top of it, but wouldn't be able to walk across it. Really cool that way.

The problem that I foresee with cornstarch or any other non-Newtonian fluid is that it will tend to either settle to the bottom of the garment or run out entirely when not under compression. I guess, though, that the initial cohesion can be tuned.

What is a non reactive viscous gel?

A non reactive viscous gel is a type of gel that does not react chemically with other substances. It has a thick, sticky consistency and is commonly used in various industries such as food, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals.

How is a non reactive viscous gel made?

A non reactive viscous gel is typically made by mixing a thickening agent, such as a polymer or gum, with a liquid in order to create a gel-like consistency. The specific ingredients and process may vary depending on the intended use of the gel.

What are the properties of a non reactive viscous gel?

Non reactive viscous gels have a high viscosity, meaning they are thick and resistant to flow. They also have a high elasticity, allowing them to maintain their shape and bounce back after being manipulated. Additionally, these gels are typically transparent, odorless, and tasteless.

What are some common uses for non reactive viscous gels?

Non reactive viscous gels have a wide range of applications, including use as thickeners and stabilizers in food products, as moisturizers and lubricants in cosmetics, and as delivery vehicles for drugs in pharmaceuticals. They are also commonly used in various industrial processes, such as in adhesives and coatings.

Are there any safety concerns with using non reactive viscous gels?

While non reactive viscous gels are generally considered safe for use, it is important to carefully follow instructions and guidelines for handling and storage. Some gels may also contain additives or chemicals that could cause allergic reactions or other health concerns, so it is important to read the label and consult with a professional if necessary.