Tags: exponential, integration, inverse, power
phypar
Nov8-13, 11:24 PM
P: 9
I confront an integration with the following form:

[itex] \int d^2{\vec q} \exp(-a \vec{q}^{2}) \frac{\vec{k}^{2}-\vec{k}\cdot
\vec{q}}{((\vec q-\vec k)^{2})(\vec{q}^{2}+b)}
[/itex]
where [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are some constants, [itex]\vec{q} = (q_1, q_2)[/itex] and [itex]\vec{k} = (k_1, k_2)[/itex] are two-components vectors.

In the case of [itex]a\rightarrow \infty [/itex] in which the exponential becomes 1, I can perform the integration using Feynman parameterization.

In the general case I have now idea to calculate it. I know the answer is

[itex]\pi \exp(ab)\left(\Gamma(0,ab)-\Gamma(0,a(\vec{k}^2+b))\right)[/itex]

where [itex]\Gamma(0,x)=\int_x^\infty t^{-1} e^{-t}\,dt [/itex] is the incomplete gamma function.

But i don't know how to arrive at this result. can someone give any clue to perform this kind of integration? thanks a lot.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
dauto
Nov10-13, 09:50 AM
P: 1,244
I would try using Feynman parametrization anyways, and than convert the integration to polar coordinates (The fact that you end up with an incomplete gamma function is a clue that polar coordinates were used).
phypar
Nov10-13, 07:55 PM
P: 9
Quote Quote by dauto View Post
I would try using Feynman parametrization anyways, and than convert the integration to polar coordinates (The fact that you end up with an incomplete gamma function is a clue that polar coordinates were used).

Thanks. I just found the solution from another paper. So first one should perform the integration to polar coordinates using the formula:
[itex] \int_0^\pi d\theta \cos(n\theta)/( 1+a\cos(\theta))=\left(\pi/\sqrt{1-a^2}\right)\left((\sqrt{1-a^2}-1)/ a\right)^n,~~~a^2<1,~~n\geq0[/itex]
then perform the integration on [itex]p^2[/itex] will yield the above result.

Register to reply