Proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV

by flied
Tags: cross, endf, inelastic, proton-proton, protonproton, tendl
flied
Feb6-14, 10:31 PM
P: 13
Dear Forum :
I'm looking for proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV.
There are lots of results in GeV, TeV.
But I can not find the results in MeV in ENDF nor TENDL.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor/endf.htm
ftp://ftp.nrg.eu/pub/www/talys/tendl...ml/proton.html
Please advise me
Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
mathman
Feb7-14, 02:57 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,937
I am not familiar with the particular interaction. However I wonder if at those energies the only reaction is elastic sacattering?
mfb
Feb7-14, 06:36 PM
Mentor
P: 10,809
The first inelastic collision via the strong force should be pion production at ~150 MeV, probably with a negligible cross-section at this energy.

p+p -> p+n+positron+antineutrino (or deuterium instead of p+n) would have a lower threshold, but as the process happens via the weak interaction the cross-section is completely negligible.

snorkack
Feb8-14, 01:39 AM
P: 358

Proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV

Quote Quote by mfb View Post
p+p -> p+n+positron+antineutrino (or deuterium instead of p+n) would have a lower threshold,
p+p -> d+positron+neutrino should have NO threshold, because it releases energy - but also a low cross-section because it is weak interaction.

But there should be some electromagnetic interaction inelastic collisions, because protons are charged.
p+p -> p+p+γ... whether the energy of the said photon is γ, x-ray, UV, visible, infrared or radio waves. How does the cross-section of braking radiation compare wit the cross-section for elastic collision?
Starting from threshold of 1022 keV, there will also be electromagnetic interaction of
p+p -> p+p+e-+e+
So in that region, how are the comparative cross-sections of elastic collision, braking radiation and pair production?
flied
Feb8-14, 03:20 AM
The question arose to me when I do a simulation on FLUKA,
there is inelastic scattering length 9.1E9 cm of proton-proton(H) in 10MeV.
9.1E9 cm which converting to 0.011mb.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gul3dibeql...20Material.JPG
It is really small compare to other process or elastic scattering of p-p.
I just wonder where could I find other resource to compare with it ?
mfb
Feb8-14, 08:45 AM
Mentor
P: 10,809
Quote Quote by snorkack View Post
p+p -> d+positron+neutrino should have NO threshold, because it releases energy - but also a low cross-section because it is weak interaction.
Right. But below the MeV scale you need long-range tunneling, and the cross-section gets even worse.
Completely negligible when you want to simulate processes in FLUKA.

But there should be some electromagnetic interaction inelastic collisions, because protons are charged.
I don't think they are called inelastic in high-energy physics, but that's probably just a question of definitions.

Starting from threshold of 1022 keV, there will also be electromagnetic interaction of
p+p -> p+p+e-+e+
Right. Again, should be completely negligible.

I don't see 9.1E9 in this table, but this is scattering at hydrogen, not at protons. Ionization could count towards the value, or the result is just a relict of some extrapolation.
flied
Feb8-14, 04:49 PM
I'm sorry for 9.1E9cm, should be 0.16E+10 cm , converting to 0.11 mbarns.
Also, it should be hydrogen instead of proton.
However, is there other resources to compare ?

Register to reply