BJT single stage amplifier we write gm=Ic/VT

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of gm for a BJT single stage amplifier and a Darlington pair composed of two transistors connected in CC-CC mode. The value of Thermal voltage, VT, is 26mV and for a Darlington pair, the cumulative change in VT is 52mV due to the presence of two forward active PN junctions. The conversation also mentions the use of Boltzmann constant in the calculation of VT, which is necessary due to its relationship with temperature and the physical properties of the materials used in the transistors.
pforpashya
For BJT single stage amplifier we write gm=Ic/VT where VT is Thermal voltage whose value is 26mv. Now if we have a Darlington pair i.e. two transistor connected in CC-CC mode what will be overall gm.

Will the collector current Ic be divided by 52mv or 26mv. (Because in gain equation gm comes)

as their are two forward active PN junctions ...the cumulative change in VT is 52mV?

is this correct?

can someone through light on "why we have to include Boltzmann constant in calculation of VT"
in simple words?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Each device has gm value equal to its own Ic divided by VT, where VT is 25.7 mV for each device. For a Darlington, if the input device is no. 1, and output device is no. 2, then Ie1 = Ib2, Ic1 = α1*Ie1, Ic2 = β2*Ib2, or Ic2 = α2*Ie2, .

This should get you started.

Claude

Last edited:
ok. thank you for your reply. to find overall gm (i.e. gm2 as gm1 of first pair in darlington is very small) of the device should i divide Ic2 by VT1+VT2 i.e. 52mV?

Yes you should use 2*Vt if you want to find voltage gain.

The small signal gain for CE amplifier is equal to

[itex]\Large \frac{Vout}{Vin} =-\frac{Rc (\beta 1+\beta 2+\beta 1 \beta 2)}{(1+\beta 1) (re1+re2+re2 \beta 2)} [/itex]

Where

re1 ≈ 1/gm1
re2 ≈ 1/gm2

Likes 1 person
Thanks alot...I have to solve one unsolved problem on darlington pair before saturday. I hope i will get right answer as i have to just multiply gm by output resistance of darlington pair.

can someone through light on "why we have to include Boltzmann constant in calculation of VT"
in simple words?

1. What is a BJT single stage amplifier?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) single stage amplifier is an electronic circuit that uses a single BJT transistor to amplify an input signal. This type of amplifier is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications.

2. What is the purpose of writing gm=Ic/VT in the amplifier?

The equation gm=Ic/VT is used to calculate the transconductance of the BJT transistor in the amplifier. This value represents the relationship between the input voltage and the output current of the transistor, and is a crucial factor in determining the gain of the amplifier.

3. What does Ic stand for in the equation gm=Ic/VT?

Ic stands for the collector current of the BJT transistor. This is the current that flows from the collector to the emitter of the transistor, and it is an important parameter in determining the performance of the amplifier.

4. What is VT in the equation gm=Ic/VT?

VT represents the thermal voltage, which is equal to the product of the Boltzmann constant and the temperature of the transistor. It is a constant value that is used to calculate the transconductance of the transistor in the amplifier.

5. Why is the transconductance of the BJT transistor important in amplifier design?

The transconductance of the BJT transistor is a crucial factor in determining the gain of the amplifier. A higher transconductance means that the amplifier can produce a larger output signal for a given input voltage, resulting in a higher gain. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the transconductance when designing a BJT single stage amplifier.