Riemann Hypothesis: Will it Ever be Proven?

In summary, There is a possibility that the Riemann hypothesis will be proven, and it may take up to 1000 years. There has been a proposed proof earlier this year, but it is unclear what has happened with it. Some believe that the proof may come from physics, as the string theory community is working on some complex concepts.
Inquiring_Mike
Just an opinion question, do you think that the riemann hypothesis will ever be proven? If so, how long do you think it will take?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes! It will definitely be proven by 2072.

Originally posted by mathman
Yes! It will definitely be proven by 2072.
+ or - 0.21 years? :wink:

Just an opinion question, do you think that the riemann hypothesis will ever be proven? If so, how long do you think it will take?
Don't know, and don't know. Probably yes, and probably within 1000 years.

Didn't somebody have a serious proposed proof earlier this year? Whatever became of that?

They did? I must have missed that...

All I have heard is an improved test to prove a number is a prime number.

I think he means the Poincare conjecture?

Ooh, dumb me. Of course I did, sorry.

On Riemann, I think it's at least even odds that the answer will come out of physics. The string folks are doing some very subtle things now, and remember monstrous moonshine.

1. What is the Riemann Hypothesis?

The Riemann Hypothesis is one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics. It was first proposed by German mathematician Bernhard Riemann in 1859 and deals with the distribution of prime numbers.

2. Why is the Riemann Hypothesis important?

The Riemann Hypothesis has far-reaching implications in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, complex analysis, and algebraic geometry. It also has practical applications in cryptography and coding theory.

3. Has anyone ever proven the Riemann Hypothesis?

No, the Riemann Hypothesis has not been proven yet. Despite numerous attempts by mathematicians over the past 160 years, a proof has not yet been found.

4. What are some key ideas or approaches to proving the Riemann Hypothesis?

Many different mathematicians have proposed various approaches to proving the Riemann Hypothesis, including using techniques from analytic number theory, algebraic geometry, and mathematical physics. Some of the most promising ideas involve connections between the Riemann Hypothesis and other famous unsolved problems, such as the Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture.

5. Will the Riemann Hypothesis ever be proven?

It is impossible to say for certain whether the Riemann Hypothesis will ever be proven. Some mathematicians believe that a proof is within reach, while others think it may be an unsolvable problem. However, there is ongoing research and progress being made, so it is possible that a proof may be discovered in the future.