Error reboot and select proper boot device

In summary, the problem may be with the BIOS settings. You should check to see if your BIOS is correctly configured to find your hard drive. If not, you may have to change the settings in your BIOS.
EMANUELI
I have Main board Intel D865GVHZ HDD40GBWestern digital RAM256MB Processor intel 1.7ghz running WINXPsp2. When swiching on the system after POST before loading windows I got error massage " Reeboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device " When I restart Ctrl+Alt+Del its load windows with no problems, always happen when turning on the system after last shutdown.No changes made prior to the error. I tried the followings with no lucky,
HDD diagnosis utility with no error found on the drive,
Repaire windows with windows XP CD,
Format the drive and clean install,
Run Fixmbr from recovery console,
Run Fixboot from recovery console,
Update BIOS with the latest Update from Intel,
After all those still no lucky Any Ideas will hell me and others as well!

Computer science news on Phys.org
It could be a hardware problem and one of the cables is not seated correctly. Or the HD is taking little too long to initialize. Ensure the boot sequence is configured correctly in the BIOS instructions that govern the startup routine.

DammiT said:
It could be a hardware problem and one of the cables is not seated correctly. Or the HD is taking little too long to initialize. Ensure the boot sequence is configured correctly in the BIOS instructions that govern the startup routine.

Thanks! Your write! Its a hardware problem. I have just tried to swap the HDD with another one and replace the cable but the problem is still exist! :grumpy: That means there is no problem with neither HDD nor cable. But what esle could be the prob? Please advice!

You replaced the HD with another and got the same error? Did you clone your OS onto the other HD? If not sounds like a Mother board problem somewhere..

Anttech said:
You replaced the HD with another and got the same error? Did you clone your OS onto the other HD? If not sounds like a Mother board problem somewhere..

No. I did not clone my OS, Its really sound like Mother board prob. But what exactly could be the prob. What is the fix! Do u mean I have to replace my MB?

It's possibly a problem with your BIOS settings. Perhaps the BIOS is not correctly configured to find your hard drive, so the BIOS may have to search for it every time. I don't think it's a hardware problem, more of a setup problem.

What is the make and model of you PC... Typically well known brands, especially geared to business, have hardware fault testing CD's that you can boot into... If you PC is under warrenty they should change your faulty hardware (if it ends up being that).. it could well be a BIOS problem, that sounds feasible.. I would do as Job says and check your boot sequence first.. and make sure there isn't strange going on in your BIOS..

-Job- said:
It's possibly a problem with your BIOS settings. Perhaps the BIOS is not correctly configured to find your hard drive, so the BIOS may have to search for it every time. I don't think it's a hardware problem, more of a setup problem.

Yes Job! I conferm that Its's really a problem with the BIOS settings!. I have already double check with BIOS settings and I found out after every atempt to switch on the PC and went directly to the BIOS settings(Boot priority) The hard disk is not detected. BTW when I restart the system the hard disk is detected. I have also try to replace the new CMOS battery with no lucky. What changes I have to do to make the CMOS settings to remain after switch off? Please advice!

I have basically the same problem with a few differences... I have an Intel D865Perl board. i get the same error however disks have activity. i check boot sequence in setup and the bios shows them as Not Detected. I pulled the BIOS Configuration jumper and loaded my BIOS recovery diskette but problem is still there. The only change i made was flash update about a month ago. have not had any issues until today. I still believe it is a setup issue but do not know what else to try... HELP PLEASE

What does "Error reboot and select proper boot device" mean?

This error message typically appears on a computer screen when the system is unable to find a bootable device to start up the operating system. This could be due to a malfunctioning hard drive, incorrect boot order settings, or a disconnected or damaged boot device.

How can I fix the "Error reboot and select proper boot device" message?

First, try checking the boot order settings in your computer's BIOS. Make sure the device you want to boot from (usually the hard drive) is listed as the first boot option. If this does not work, try reconnecting or replacing the boot device. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek professional help.

Why did I receive the "Error reboot and select proper boot device" message?

There are various reasons why this error message may appear, such as a malfunctioning hard drive, incorrect boot order settings, or a damaged or disconnected boot device. It could also be caused by a corrupt operating system or a virus.

Can I prevent the "Error reboot and select proper boot device" message from appearing?

To prevent this error from occurring, it is important to regularly back up your important files and keep your computer's hardware and software updated. It is also recommended to regularly check and adjust your boot order settings and to be cautious when downloading or installing new programs.

Is the "Error reboot and select proper boot device" message fixable?

In most cases, this error is fixable by adjusting boot order settings, reconnecting or replacing the boot device, or seeking professional help. However, if the issue is caused by a damaged hard drive, it may not be fixable and a replacement may be necessary.