Abrupt & intermittent shutdown problem

• Thread starter PerennialII
  • Start date
In summary: This is a common error that XP makes. Sometimes when the computer is shutting down, something triggers the shutdown process. For example, you might close a program unexpectedly. Or the computer might be overheating. In these cases, the system might not be able to save the data properly, and the computer will shut down.
PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... I've this one Dell laptop running XP that need to maintain, and although it takes 90% of all of my admin time, can't get rid of it for various unfortunate reasons. Well, during the last couple of months it's developed another annoying problem, that being abrupt and intermittent shutdowns. The shutdown in this case means that the 'thing' completely loses power in about a sec, like turning the on-off switch (which should be ok btw).

The occurrence is irregular, when been trying to figure it out sometimes it occurs several times a day, at times goes several days without (with the same basic process etc. configuration, nothing can think of differing in operation). Does anyone have any experience about this sort of a problem? I've tried several 'avenues' but so far don't seem to be any closer to a solution. On hardware side have run every diagnostic can think of, the unit has had it motherboard replaced (for other reasons) during the occurrence of this, can't seem to find any error related to temperature sensoring or fans, battery connection seems to be ok (or seem to & haven't had any difference in operation with another battery or when hooked (and not) up). On OS side have gone through all drivers, configuted drivers & system settings which might cause a shutdown on failure etc. (which imo isn't the case here), ran AVP scans with 2 different software, same for spyware, no unfamiliar processes up and overall don't seem to find anything conflicting in the system (have disabled any non vital service usually affiliated with shutdown problems). One problem is that absolutely no clue & trace can be found from any logs after the fact (the system is about a year old M60 laptop, everything starting from BIOS, OS etc. is up to date - the only thing Dell can recommend is another motherboard change).

Any ideas or experiences which might help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
hmmm... Dont these Laptops auto shut if the proc gets to hot? It does sound like hardware...

I believe there's viruses/worms/trojans that cause shutdowns like these. I'd recommend a virus scan. You can use Panda's free scanner at http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
Maybe check for fixes for the sasser or blaster worms.

Have you ruled out any battery, power line problems? Does this happen with a full battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
-Job- said:
I believe there's viruses/worms/trojans that cause shutdowns like these. I'd recommend a virus scan. You can use Panda's free scanner at http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
Maybe check for fixes for the sasser or blaster worms.
Have you ruled out any battery, power line problems? Does this happen with a full battery?
Yeah, was thinking it could a 'vermin' problem, scanned the system with Avast & F-secure & Spy-bot & Ad-aware and came empty. Happened with 2 different batteries, not dependent on whether working on batteries or plugged in (+any diagnostic have run doesn't show any problems in that department, sure not a guarantee but anyways haven't found anything there).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anttech said:
hmmm... Dont these Laptops auto shut if the proc gets to hot? It does sound like hardware...
... yeah, the best solution can think of (if can call it that) right now is to replace some potential components, proc is a good place to start since I've a tendency of running it a bit in the hot end (:biggrin:). Since don't have to worry about anything else but losing own time with this thing (like I'd have my own pc running xp and so forth) isn't an impossible option. If it was a virus, huge system failure/conflict etc. would think it would initiate shutdown, but not "die within a second" ... although would expect some trace to remain even in that case, perhaps (+doesn't really correlate with the pc being 'really' hot, but sure (&most likely) can be a glitch in something controlling temperature).

It seems you have tried a lot of stuff. As you mentioned, it could be a component that is malfunctioning under some conditions, so you could try to remove or disable your components one by one(network card for example) to see if it happens, even if this would be a pain since you said that it can go for some days without doing anything.

would think it would initiate shutdown, but not "die within a second"

I aggree I don't think it is malware... There was a nasty worm out there that was shuting down your PC.. basically it initiated the shutdown cmd and you got a NT type pop up saying "system will shutdown in t -xx secs"

Anttech said:
I aggree I don't think it is malware... There was a nasty worm out there that was shuting down your PC.. basically it initiated the shutdown cmd and you got a NT type pop up saying "system will shutdown in t -xx secs"
Yeah, remember for example when Sasser was at its worst using "shutdown -a" a couple of times when purging pcs.
-Job- said:
It seems you have tried a lot of stuff. As you mentioned, it could be a component that is malfunctioning under some conditions, so you could try to remove or disable your components one by one(network card for example) to see if it happens, even if this would be a pain since you said that it can go for some days without doing anything.
Yeah, but a good idea to try anyways with some of the components that are easy to remove & disable, from what have find out cd/dvd (&writing software), network card etc. are pretty common ones giving shutdown trouble (although usually make the system hang in shutdown, but with this os wouldn't be surprised if caused also the other way around).

Thanks folks!

Intermittent shutdown

I have intermittent shutdown with my personal computer as well. After reading few comments on this site, I think it could have started after I installed a DVD writer. I also noticed that it stopped doing it for a couple of days, after the Windows Update of Sept. 19 from Microsoft and it started again Wednesday after the live update from Symantec. Could it also be related? Any known solution?

Hi Johanne,

based on my experience your guess about the dvd drive is a pretty good one. When searched stuff for my own problem (which with that particular computer still in use is a problem sometimes, but not as frequent as once was) dvd drive came up plenty of times. Driver/firmware updates, reinstalling the hardware ... or if some feature of it malfunctions when using could perhaps disable ... don't know if there are other means could try. If the system seems to be working ok the prime software candidates I think are various security software (although this "working ok" doesn't eliminate the dvd I'd say in any sense ... seems to be its own "entity" in this respect in causing problems), I traced my problem finally to a coupling of my software firewall and 'something', since don't know what that something is, switched to a more "coherent" (:biggrin: ) FW (and AvP just to be on the "safe side" ... guesses) and was able to push down the frequency have to experience the problem, and is nowadays almost tolerable (or well, the same rate as general BSoDing when running XP, in linux never have had this issue).

What is an abrupt and intermittent shutdown problem?

An abrupt and intermittent shutdown problem is when a device or system unexpectedly shuts down without warning and does so intermittently, meaning it happens at random intervals.

What can cause an abrupt and intermittent shutdown problem?

Several factors can contribute to an abrupt and intermittent shutdown problem, including hardware malfunctions, software issues, overheating, faulty power supply, and viruses or malware.

How can I troubleshoot an abrupt and intermittent shutdown problem?

To troubleshoot an abrupt and intermittent shutdown problem, you can start by checking for any software updates or virus/malware scans. You can also try cleaning the inside of your device to prevent overheating and make sure all hardware components are properly connected.

What should I do if the abrupt and intermittent shutdown problem persists?

If the problem continues, it is best to seek professional help from a technician or contact the manufacturer for support. They can run diagnostic tests and identify the root cause of the issue.

Is an abrupt and intermittent shutdown problem dangerous?

In some cases, an abrupt and intermittent shutdown problem can cause data loss or damage to hardware components. It is essential to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent any further damage.