Another ET thought exp (creation rant?)

• Thread starter Merlin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of imagining simple extraterrestrial beings easily, but struggling to accept the idea of God or God-like ETs having visited and created humans before leaving. It is suggested that a more advanced humanoid race could appear god-like, but they would still be limited by the laws of physics unlike God. The conversation also touches on the misconception that Carl Sagan said "billions and billions" when it was actually a popular impression by talk show host Johnny Carson.
Merlin
I wonder, Why is it so easy to imagine simple ETs, but so difficult to accept God(s) or God ETs as having been here before creating us and leaving. Of course this leads us to who or what created the ETs! If they were as dull as us, (in brainpower, relative size, etc.) and had near light speed technology (forget folding space time etc, that will come later) they could still pull off the God thing with us. Just sllloooowly cruise to Earth at 99 whatever% c, change some goo around and leave! Come back at the same or faster fraction of light tailored speed, and they have a manipulated life form.

I could say that an optimized similar humanoid race just 500 years more advanced than we, would be God like. Don't even try to think about 1 or more billions (did Carl Sagen really say billions and billions of stars? NO! J. Carson the talk show host did!) of years more advanced, it just gets silly, but interesting!... .We as humans are sooo good at, will keep striving reaching, and weeping for the stars and the TOE. I wouldn't want it any other way. Merlin

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Making up gods and aliens is not hard at all. Every two-bit tribe has a bunch of gods that its neighboring tribes can't see for sour apples because they have their own bunch. And you can't throw a stone in El Cajon California without hitting someone with some particular alien guru.

What's difficult is squaring any of this with science. With sitting down before a fact like a little child. Fantasy beings just dry up and blow away in the clear air of rational investigation.

In my point of view i find it hard to accept that ET's are comming to Earth often, just because of the distances involved. Even if thess aliens were traveling at 99% the speed of light then it would still take then a hell of a long time to get here, hundreds possibly thousands of years. So i don't think they would be here if they were only that advanced. But sure if there are much more advanced ET's with space wars, vacations on different and distance planets, and alcohol harvested from nebula's, then yeah I am pretty sure they can act like God all they want, the only problem would be that there would be too many God's at once :smile:

Originally posted by Merlin
I wonder, Why is it so easy to imagine simple ETs, but so difficult to accept God(s) or God ETs as having been here before creating us and leaving.

Because there's no conclusive evidence of aliens having visited Earth. (But Mentor Ivan would be glad to show you the evidence that is being considered.)

I could say that an optimized similar humanoid race just 500 years more advanced than we, would be God like.

But they would not be able to break the laws of physics like God could. But yes, a technology unknown to us could appear as such.

(did Carl Sagen really say billions and billions of stars? NO! J. Carson the talk show host did!)
Technically, he did eventually say it. After Cosmos aired in the 1970s, Carson did that bit with the "billions and billions" impression and after that everyone thought Sagan said it, when he hadn't at all. But after years of being bugged about it, Sagan's last book (early/mid-1990s) was called "Billions and Billions". Not his best book, but understandable given his failing health.

1. What is the purpose of the "Another ET thought exp (creation rant?)" thought experiment?

The purpose of this thought experiment is to explore the idea of extraterrestrial life and how it relates to our understanding of creation and the universe.

2. How does this thought experiment relate to scientific theories and evidence?

This thought experiment is not based on scientific theories or evidence, but rather it is a hypothetical scenario designed to stimulate critical thinking and discussion about the possibility of extraterrestrial life and its implications for our understanding of creation.

3. Is there any evidence to support the existence of extraterrestrial life?

There is currently no conclusive evidence for the existence of extraterrestrial life. While there have been some potential sightings or signals that could suggest the presence of intelligent life beyond Earth, these have not been confirmed.

4. Can this thought experiment be used to prove or disprove the existence of a higher power or creator?

No, this thought experiment is not meant to prove or disprove the existence of a higher power or creator. It is simply a theoretical exploration of the potential implications of extraterrestrial life on our understanding of creation.

5. How can scientists use thought experiments in their research?

Thought experiments can be a useful tool for scientists to test and explore new ideas and theories. They allow for the exploration of hypothetical scenarios and can help scientists think outside the box and come up with new approaches and perspectives on their research.