What Makes Ice a Skatable Surface?

In summary, the speaker maintains a blog about physics and has written a new entry about the physics of figure skating, linking to other related websites. They have also added a collection of links about the physics of other Winter Olympic sports. The speaker's webpage may appear differently on various browsers and computers. They have received help from another person in understanding the role of math in figure skating. The New York Times has published an article about the physics of ice as a skatable surface.
PhysicsFan
I maintain a blog where I write about physics for a general audience, and I wanted to let everyone know about my latest entry, which is on the physics of figure skating. With the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics only a week away, I thought it might be fun to collect links related to the physics of the sports being contested. In my write-up, I link to some other physics of figure skating sites, as well.

http://watered-down-physics.blogspot.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, nearly anything that figure skaters do (of interest, anyways) relates to the conservation of angular momentum... If you look that up, you'll find lots of examples.

Fan, I think you need to copy and paste over the code for the blogger bar at the top of the site, its not showing up right, for me.

To supplement my figure-skating write-up, I've now added a collection of links on the physics of other Winter Olympic sports, such as luge, hockey, and skiing.

I hope that my webpage shows up properly for most of you. It looks OK to me. I know that on different browsers and different computers, things can look different, however.

Fan, you've really helped me with finding how math is used in figure skating. Thanks for helping!

Oh it works good for me now.

But I can't comment :frown: I have an RSS button you might like I made myself. I can send you the code.

1. How does angular momentum affect figure skating jumps?

Angular momentum is a key factor in figure skating jumps. When a skater pushes off the ice, they create angular momentum by rotating their body and arms. This momentum is conserved and helps the skater rotate in the air. By pulling their arms in and extending their legs, the skater can increase or decrease their angular momentum, allowing them to control the speed and rotation of their jump.

2. What role does friction play in figure skating?

Friction is essential in figure skating as it provides the necessary grip between the skate blade and the ice. It allows skaters to push off the ice, control their movements, and execute various skating techniques. However, too much friction can slow down a skater and hinder their performance, so finding the right balance is crucial.

3. How does the center of mass affect a skater's balance and stability?

The center of mass, also known as the center of gravity, is the point where an object's mass is evenly distributed. In figure skating, a skater's center of mass plays a significant role in their balance and stability. By maintaining a low and centered center of mass, skaters can keep their balance and execute complex moves without falling over.

4. What is the science behind a perfect landing in figure skating?

A perfect landing in figure skating requires a combination of factors, including the skater's speed, angular momentum, and balance. When a skater lands a jump, they must absorb the impact by bending their knees and using their muscles to control their center of mass. This allows them to maintain their balance and land smoothly without falling or stumbling.

5. How do the laws of motion apply to figure skating?

The laws of motion, specifically Newton's first and second laws, play a significant role in figure skating. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In figure skating, this means that a skater will continue to move in a straight line or with constant speed unless a force, such as friction or air resistance, acts on them. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that by increasing their force and reducing their mass, a skater can increase their speed and perform more complex moves on the ice.