Looking for good book on Numerical Methods and/or Optimization

In summary, any recommendations? The books I have are very outdated. Extremely important to me are:- worked examples - not overly heavy on theory (don't want to hire a PhD to explain it). I have an MS Engineering level education (PDE's was the last math class I took). I appreciate any/all suggestions. Thanks!
hotvette
Homework Helper
Any recommendations? The books I have are very outdated. Extremely important to me are:

- worked examples #1 criteria. Need that bridge between theory and implementation.

- not overly heavy on theory (don't want to hire a PhD to explain it). I have an MS Engineering level education (PDE's was the last math class I took).

- would love the book to include Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) and Optimization techniques, though I have a feeling that a good treatment of Optimization would need to be in a separate book

Appreciate any/all suggestions. Thanks! :tongue2:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Schaums outline isn't too bad, fits criteria #1 very well.

OMG, I had totally forgotten about Schaums. Seems like a lifetime ago (sorta was, actually). On the way courtesy of Amazon. Thanks.

In the meantime, I'd like to re-phrase my question and request additional replies.

Are there any Numerical Methods or Optimization books that you absolutely love (or like alot)? If, so I'd appreciate the title/author/edition and comments as to why.

Keeping in mind #1 & and not going 'too deep' in math how about "Practical Optimization Methods" by Bhatti. It's pretty recent and the whole book is written with mathematica implementations in mind (contains a CD of the stuff)(similar books exist if going to use for example MATLAB as a platform, but don't have experience about those). What I like about it in particular is that it presents recent methods for a wide variety of different numerical optimization problem 'categories' and it's heavy with respect to the implementation aspect (and tolerable if you like to avoid "excess" math).

Numerical Recipes in C/ Numerical Recipes in C++/Numerical Recipes in Fortran/ NUmerical Methods in Matlab

Dr Transport, PerennialII, neurocomp2003,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Keep the recommendations coming...

Any 'classics' come to mind (like Schlichting is to Boundary Layer Theory, Zienkiewicz is to the Finite Element Method, Timoshenko is to Theory of Plates and Shells, Knuth is to Computer Algorithms, Kernighan and Ritchie are to the C Programming Language, etc.)? :tongue2:

I know I'm almost two months late, but I can't resist a question about numerical method books!

For optimization, the best book I have seen is free right here
http://www.stanford.edu/~boyd/cvxbook/
Lots of examples in there.

For numerical methods, I have never seen a good book on solving ODEs and stuff like FEM, but a wonderful book on the important smaller numerical techniques (like system solving and SVD) is
http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/work/nick.trefethen/text.html
That book is very readable, and presents things in a very intuitive manner. Definitely the best book I have seen on the subject.

One other thing I have encountered that I thought gave very intuitive explanations is
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake-papers/painless-conjugate-gradient.pdf
It basically explains how iterative system solvers work, and has lots of pictures to help explain things.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are numerical methods and optimization?

Numerical methods are mathematical techniques used to solve problems that cannot be solved analytically. Optimization is a subfield of numerical methods that focuses on finding the best solution to a problem.

2. Why is it important to learn about numerical methods and optimization?

Numerical methods and optimization are essential in various fields such as engineering, finance, and science. They allow us to solve complex problems efficiently and accurately.

3. What are some common techniques used in numerical methods and optimization?

Some common numerical methods include root finding, interpolation, and integration. Popular optimization methods include gradient descent, genetic algorithms, and simulated annealing.

4. How can I find a good book on numerical methods and optimization?

You can search for books on online retailers such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble. You can also ask for recommendations from professors, colleagues, or online forums related to your field of study.

5. What are some important topics that should be covered in a book on numerical methods and optimization?

A good book on numerical methods and optimization should cover topics such as error analysis, convergence, and stability. It should also include practical applications and examples to help understand the concepts better.